UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Debt Collection Views: USA Today Date: 2/17/2012 11:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/story/2012-02-16/debt-A...

This is the view opposing tighter regulations on debt collectors, written by the CEO of ACA International, a trade group. I read the USA Today "Our View-Opposing View" column on an irregular basis, but this is the most off-base, ridiculous opinion I've seen. I know the guy represents debt collectors, but surely even he can't believe what he wrote. Specifically, with regards to applying a North Carolina law nationally:

North Carolina goes too far: It eliminates any opportunity for debt buyers to communicate with a consumer unless the buyer or its collection agency already has all the information about a debt immediately available. That's unreasonable and makes these debts virtually uncollectable, depriving businesses of payment.

#Doubletake It's unreasonable to have all the information before you start harassing people?

Reading further, I see what his beef is:

But at the heart of this matter — as outlined in ACA International's blueprint for modernization — is that sometimes the data are not immediately available from the creditor or debt reseller. That could be because the creditor by law doesn't need to maintain or make the data available or because of privacy, security or technological issues. In requiring asset buyers to provide this type of documentation, it's imperative that creditors and sellers be required to provide the same thing.

Just so we're clear, it's imperative for the debt buyer that credtiors and sellers provide all the information. Thus, as a buyer, I would require the information, or I wouldn't buy the debt. It's the existence of the easy access secondary debt market that allows creditors to be lax.

In the end, I see why I thought the views in the article were so ridiculous. The writer is arguing for protection of an industry that I'm not convinced should exist in the first place. Let original creditors collect their own debt. They should take collection and write-off costs into account and price new debt accordingly.

v/r
Tom
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement