No. of Recommendations: 3
Nov 2012 ended up being a reasonable month overall for the port. It didn't seem like it would
based on the first ten days, but some buying and bounces from MEMS and KCG changed things quite a
bit. Now, I have to figure out the plan for this final month of 2012.

1. Fiscal cliff & possible higher taxes- took the opportunity to add to PGP, GNI, SO in Nov. Those
have had varying degrees of bounce. Was watching the BDCs, but none of them offered really compelling
reasons to add.
2. Tanker basket has 7 ideas- 3 positive, 4 negative. Overall, about 1.4% gain (exc. dividend).
But it should be mentioned that more than half the cost basis were purchases made in Nov.
3. JF and the accelerated dividend payout plan in SFL, GLNG and SDRL made things slightly complicated.
Will those ideas sell-off after the respective ex-dividend dates this coming week? I mean, the three
companies potentially not having another payout for 5 months might cause shareholders to exit.
4. The two M&A ideas- MEMS and KCG. Two years ago, I cashed in an acquisition idea before the
offer was final. It got bid higher, and I lost out on the additional hike. Is MEMS worth more than
$4/sh (25% higher than current offer)? Probably. Worth the risk of holding? Yes.
KCG is a little trickier- Are the two suitors looking at the entire company, or just the market-making
portion? If not the whole firm, does the company management decide how much the shareholders get?

Grr! The CBK missed opportunity continues to keep poking at me- now close to a 300% gain in
5 months :( A major take-away from this idea is that I will definitely be open to looking at ideas
in retail. At least, more so than I was prior to the pick.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
3. JF and the accelerated dividend payout plan in SFL, GLNG and SDRL made things slightly complicated.
Will those ideas sell-off after the respective ex-dividend dates this coming week? I mean, the three
companies potentially not having another payout for 5 months might cause shareholders to exit.

I don't think I'd mind seeing a drop after that.
I would see that as a buying opportunity. I'm still kicking myself for not getting into GLNG back when I first discovered it last year.
Or was it 2010? Whatever. A missed opportunity.

Grr! The CBK missed opportunity continues to keep poking at me- now close to a 300% gain in
5 months :( A major take-away from this idea is that I will definitely be open to looking at ideas
in retail. At least, more so than I was prior to the pick.

What do you think of ULTA's growth prospects.
I would see that as a buying opportunity. I'm still kicking myself for not getting into GLNG back when I first discovered it last year.
Or was it 2010? Whatever. A missed opportunity.

For GLNG, an entry point prior to the Fukushima disaster (early 2011) would have been good. 2010 would
have been a better entry point, but 2009 would have been even better :) Earlier than that, and one would
be back at a similar place as late 2010-early 2011.

What do you think of ULTA's growth prospects.

Seen the name mentioned but have never looked at the company. A different type of retail
play, the type recommended by one of those Gardner brothers ;)
Sold remaining FAX shares. The holding had been a good, steady idea for several years. Still like
the idea, but I think at the current price the upside is somewhat limited. Sure, there's a monthly
dividend with a nice yield, but I preferred the idea when it had both growth and yield.

Added to the TNP position @ $3.31/sh. Still a little nervous about the fleet valuation, but their
charter coverage is a slight buffer. Well, that plus their cash position, financing on their
two shuttle tankers, shuttle tanker charters, etc.
No. of Recommendations: 2
12/11 - Added TNP @ $3.24
12/12 - Added NNA @ $2.37
Given the pleasant behavior of TNK this week, am I getting too cocky? I think not. My TNP premise
is based on the company having better contract coverage, newer vessels and more upside with
two newbuilds delivering within the next six months (both with juicy contracts).

--

Added to NGPC- looking at share buy-back (I figure even a 2-3% buy-back will strengthen the payout)

--

One of the reasons I'm in no big rush to add to GLNG at the current price- delay of start-up for
some LNG production

http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/News.aspx?ElementId=6b06...

The article points to Australia, but there doesn't seem to be progress in US or Canada either.
I mean Sabine Pass is maybe 2015 or 2016, but no certainty yet. Canada, no idea
No. of Recommendations: 2
Since I purchased some GNI in Nov, I dumped some higher priced shares near $80 (12/18).
GNI announced their Q4 div, $5.25/cert ... debating whether to chase that payout.

--

Added more NNA to Roth (12/17). TNK already bounced. TNP had a nice bounce on (12/18)- hope
that it continues the upward trend. Then later, perhaps NNA?

--

Time for a Tech has-been? I noticed HPQ, ALU and NOK have had nice bounces recently. No idea on
whether Lumia has gotten any traction. With its pullback, even AAPL might be worth a nibble
Time for a Tech has-been? I noticed HPQ, ALU and NOK have had nice bounces recently. No idea on
whether Lumia has gotten any traction. With its pullback, even AAPL might be worth a nibble

You should also take a look at ISIL. Got lucky and picked some up at the recent bottom and I believe they will slowly creep up from here. They seem determined to maintain that divi.
You should also take a look at ISIL. Got lucky and picked some up at the recent bottom and I believe
they will slowly creep up from here. They seem determined to maintain that divi.

Who dat? Actually, ISIL was a holding many, many years ago. I put them on my watchlist a few months back.
I just haven't been as disciplined as I should with a plan for watchlist ideas. The plan was to have three
zones for each watchlist idea- regular, Yellow (getting interesting) and Green (buy). It could have
helped in ideas such as AAV or TSYS
No. of Recommendations: 0
While waiting for FAX to return to more reasonable levels, I'm thinking of taking a bite on
Aberdeen Chile Fund (CF), another CEF managed by the same entity. This year, FAX has traded in
a fairly narrow channel. OTOH, CH has bounced around quite a bit. It also has a quarterly
payout that seems to have some variability. While the Brazilian picks have been a mess this
year, with CH I would get a basket of Chilean ideas in one transaction. Plus, potential upside
if the dividend payout increases.

--

Saw this article on TNP--
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1078311-tsakos-energy-the-4-...

Unlike many other SeekingAlpha writers who post articles on shipping ideas, this guy at least
has a stake in TNP. I wonder, what is his TNP cost basis? I have a suspicion it is higher
than the current price. He seems to be reaching in several areas e.g. the yield is 5.3%, not 6%.
The upside on the LNG side is muted since the vessel doesn't deliver until 2015. AFAIK,
TNP has not released the rates for the recent ice-class vessel charters. While it
is possible one, two, or all three vessels, might have secured above-average rates, it is
also likely TNP opted to fix charters to secure a steady income the next few months.
12/24
Discovered that CH is a "Sell Only" stock with my DRIP ac brokerage. I guess if I want CH, I need
to buy shares via another account. Probably Mizone ac for a bite, Trading ac for a nibble

Exited SQNS with a nice gain. Will keep an eye on it for a future re-entry price.
12/28
Fiscal Cliff nibbles- added more FRO and SO. I figure FRO will have reasonable results in
Q4. The analyst average estimate is, -45c/sh on earnings and $69.5M on revenue. Even with a
bad Suezmax market and an average VLCC market, both seem very achievable.

SO, just a good defensive play.
Advertisement