Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: matt5 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: The Millionare Next Door Date: 8/15/2003 10:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Decath,

I can tell you point blank based on your very short description of your aunt that she ABSOLUTELY is a PAW (see other msgs in this thread for what a PAW is).

The older I get (31 now) the more I think I can spot people in life like Decath's aunt and the more I want to become exactly like them.

Back to the thread topic: money spent on cars....

my Dad once explained it to me like this. Buying a car falls into 4 categories:

1) STATUS - how cool does this car look? For some it's the PT Cruiser, for others a brand new Ford F-150. Or an Infiniti G35. Or a Chevrolet Corvette. Or Honda Element. The point is....how many heads will I turn driving this car?

2) SAFETY - will this car protect me in an accident? Seat belts, front and side air bags, gov't crash tests, etc. Is there really that HUGE of a difference in safety between all cars produced from 1990 until now? I personally do not think there's that big of a difference (OK, everyone says Volvos are safest - fine)

3) RELIABILITY - will it start on a cold January morning with 10" of snow on the hood when you left it out over night? Once again, not a huge difference in reliability in MOST cars over the last 10 years (yes, I know J.D. Power and Consumer Reports overwhelmingly find foreign cars far superior to domestic in reliability, but stick with me here).

4) BASIC TRANSPORTATON - does this car get me from Point A to Point B faster than a skateboard, bus, train, boat or scooter? Once again, I believe MOST cars are equal in this regard. Once you arrive at work in the morning at 8am it does not matter one iota whether you took a Lamborghini to work or a Chevette. They both got you from home (Point A) to work (Point B).

That being said, I believe that points 2, 3, and 4 are basically the same in MOST cars. Safety, Reliability and Basic Transportation. I know I'm generalizing, but come on - there isn't THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE between all cars in those three categories. So.....where do people put 95% of their costs/emphasis/looks/concerns???

STATUS!!!!

Bingo! You guessed it. Status. Put another way--> if we all had to drive with brown paper bags over our cars wouldn't it really stink to be paying $350/month for *your* paper bag and I'm paying $200/month (or maybe nothing per month!) for mine.

Bottom line---> if you can get past the "status" thing, you can save a ton on cars over your lifetime!

just my .02

Matt

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement