UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 129272  
Subject: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 3:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The paint used on my front deck was specifically for decks and has a 25 warranty but in less than 2 weeks, we had a tiny, small amount of rain, less than a quarter inch and the paint is disolving...not chipping, just flat out disapearing, like it was never there...what could have caused this and after I have it repainted, what should I use on top of it the prevent this from happening. I'm in for some snow and rain come mid November.

Thanks,
Kathy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27651 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 3:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
It's possible that you painted over pre-treated wood, without the wood curing in the natural elements. When I built my deck, I didn't apply anything to it for 30 days.

elizabeth

Author: DuckInMyShorts Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27652 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 3:36 PM
The paint used on my front deck was specifically for decks...

Deck paint? Just making sure, exactly what brand and type of paint was it? I've worked mostly with "deck stains" and preservatives, but not a paint.

Just curious as to what type of "paint" it is, that may give us a clue.

Duck!

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27654 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 3:50 PM
<Deck paint? Just making sure, exactly what brand and type of paint was it? I've worked mostly with "deck stains" and preservatives, but not a paint.

>>

oops...your are right..I meant deck stain...I can't remember the brand but it was $25 for a gallon. Oh and the deck is 70 years old and the stain or paint, don't know which that was on it before, was at least 10 years old...but the paint on the house is fine, just the deck is disolving. I don't want to paint it again just to have it do that agian...is there something I can put over it to seal it?

Kathy

Author: wrnglrjan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27655 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 3:58 PM
I don't want to paint it again just to have it do that agian...is there something I can put over it to seal it?

Is there any way you can find out what the brand was? I'd be inclined to contact the manufacturer and ask them.

Added extra bonus: if you tell them you were unhappy with their product's performance, maybe they'll give you a coupon or a freebie or something.

Jan

Author: mrbear102 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27656 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 4:04 PM
Recommendations: 1
Maybe it wasn't the product, did you follow the directions...mrbear

Author: mrbear102 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27657 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 4:05 PM
...or did you choose to save time...mrbear

Author: horacekgl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27658 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 4:17 PM
Recommendations: 3
What ever happened, you need to gather your facts and sort through your options. Suggestions have already been offered as to finding out the stain manufacturer. Next we have to delve into surface preparation and application. My working hypothesis is to find out what was put on the deck during the last few years that might "reject" the new stain. Did you try to apply a water-based stain over an oil-based stain for example? Was a solvent-based sealer used at one time? I'm thinking something prevented the new stain from penetrating the wood. If it's just laying there on the surface, then, yes, it's going to wash off. Stains are not formulated like paints to form a film that binds to the surface. They depend on wod penetration to hold the film. No penetration equals no "holding".

glh

Author: DuckInMyShorts Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27659 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 4:34 PM
Recommendations: 2
Oh and the deck is 70 years old and the stain or paint, don't know which that was on it before, was at least 10 years old...but the paint on the house is fine, just the deck is disolving. I don't want to paint it again just to have it do that agian...is there something I can put over it to seal it?

Most deck stains SHOULD be able to cover and retain itself even over SOME old finishes, however, I think the recommended route may be to sand the old finish clear off before staining it. That is, the new stain can't bond to whatever was on that deck before. Even if it looks rough, microscopically it may not bond.

Just to get another a few ideas on what you might want to try without spending a ton of time until you know something works, maybe you can try:

1) Use TSP and/or powerwash a 1 foot square area of deck. Try your stain on that. If it doesn't stick after a "rain test" (or waiting for it to rain again, then...
2) Proceed to sand another 1 foot square area (or smaller) of deck, and try to stain that area and see if it bonds...or failing that...
3) Use media blasting (like sand blasting, only with either plastic bits or walnut shells or soda) and blast another small area and test your stain on that area, too. See how that holds up.

If any of the above works, then do the whole deck with whatever is the least amount of effort and $$$.

You may discover that you might get by with a hard scrubbing and powerwash or on the other hand, you may have to resort to sanding and even worse, blasting...

Others here will have better ideas, I'm sure...

Duck!

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27664 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 5:38 PM
I didn't paint it, I hired a painter to do it and I'll have him re-do it but I wanted to know what I could do to prevent it from happening again.

Kathy

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27665 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 6:25 PM
You might have to ask them to sand it down first, to remove the old finish, because whatever sealant is below your stain, it's probably preventing the stain from soaking in.

elizabeth

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27673 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/2/2002 9:57 PM
<<You might have to ask them to sand it down first>>

well, seeing that the check has been cashed, what are the odds of this happening?

Kathy

Author: ptcyclist Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27685 of 129272
Subject: Re: Deck Paint Problems Date: 10/3/2002 4:43 PM
This deck issue brings up a question: anyone had any experience with the composite decking material? Supposed to be maintenance free. Does the cost justify the added expense?

Gregg

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement