UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883976  
Subject: Decluttering Date: 1/25/2013 3:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 31
One of my friends on the faculty here related this story to me about his sister and her husband and the gift they gave themselves on their 30th wedding anniversary.

They both took a week off for their anniversary, and rented a dumpster and a U-Haul. They then proceeded to declutter their barn, which had become a resting place for all their castoffs. As they went through their stuff, they would take a moment to think about the item, take a picture of it if they wanted it, and then toss in dumpster or the U-Haul, depending on if it could have a use for someone else. Each evening they would stop and go out to dinner and relax.

His sister said that that was the best anniversary she ever remembered – they gave each other three gifts: the gift of time, the gift of memories, and the gift of simplicity.

Just thought it was worth sharing – I think I will suggest this to my DH.

Andrea
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870870 of 883976
Subject: Re: Decluttering Date: 1/25/2013 4:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
For 5,000 years of human history, the struglle for most people has been to acquire the "stuff of life."

Now the struggle is GETTING RID OF IT!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870871 of 883976
Subject: Re: Decluttering Date: 1/25/2013 4:47 PM
Recommendations: 8
For 5,000 years of human history, the struglle for most people has been to acquire the "stuff of life."

Now the struggle is GETTING RID OF IT!

Now I have a picture in my head of prehistoric hoarders with animal skins stacked up to the cave ceiling.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870883 of 883976
Subject: Re: Decluttering Date: 1/26/2013 12:30 AM
Recommendations: 2
That's really hard work and it takes longer than a week<g>. MDH and I did that a few years ago, when moving after 30 years in the same house.

Basic advice: Try the gift every 10 years<G>.

PM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement