Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 739  
Subject: Decongestants Date: 8/15/2012 6:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Any suggestions for decongestants that play well with BP meds?

I'm probably going to have some (minor)surgery and one of the things the instructions talks about is sneezing through the mouth rather than the nose and not blowing the nose.

Since the standard joke in my family is that I'm allergic to mornings, I need to figure this out. (I typically wake up, sneeze and blow my nose for about an hour and then I'm okay.) Sneezing through the mouth is okay. Not blowing my nose is a challenge.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 684 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/16/2012 2:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Any suggestions for decongestants that play well with BP meds?..

I rely on the use of nasal irrigation when needed rather than a decongestant.

Good luck.

TB

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 685 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/19/2012 12:03 PM

You should really speak with your doctor.

Christina

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 686 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/19/2012 2:55 PM
I thought the decongestant that caused high blood pressure episodes had been banned. The old one in your collection could be a problem, but the new ones should be fine.

But agreed, the best advice comes from your doctor who is most familiar with your situation.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 687 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/19/2012 4:08 PM
The old one in your collection could be a problem, but the new ones should be fine.

"Should be" is the key phrase. I don't take any new OTC meds (or new vitamins or supplements, etc.) without first checking with my internist. Better safe than sorry.

Christina

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/19/2012 6:39 PM

You should really speak with your doctor.

My doctor told me to ask my pharmacist.

TB

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 689 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/19/2012 8:32 PM
My doctor told me to ask my pharmacist.

In that case, I'd get a new doctor!!!

Christina

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 690 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/20/2012 1:41 PM
You would think reformulated products would change their labels so you could tell.

But asking your doctor to keep up with what is going on at the OTC counter of your local pharmacy is perhaps a stretch. He/she should know what to avoid on the label, but specific product recommendations probably depends on suppliers making the effort to educate doctors.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 691 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/20/2012 9:16 PM
But asking your doctor to keep up with what is going on at the OTC counter of your local pharmacy is perhaps a stretch. He/she should know what to avoid on the label, but specific product recommendations probably depends on suppliers making the effort to educate doctors.

I expect my doctor to tell me EXACTLY what I can and cannot take. If that requires my taking note of the ingredients and giving him that info, so be it. While he may not be up to date on what's "going on at the OTC counter", he certainly should know what ingredients I must avoid.

Christina

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 692 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/24/2012 11:41 PM
Recommendations: 2
I expect my doctor to tell me EXACTLY what I can and cannot take. If that requires my taking note of the ingredients and giving him that info, so be it. While he may not be up to date on what's "going on at the OTC counter", he certainly should know what ingredients I must avoid.

Hi Christina (and everyone else). I was happy to see some activity on this board.

I'm going to throw my 2 cents into the conversation.

Christina, I agree with you that the physician should be the "go to" person with questions like this one. But I don't think that's always the case.

Personally, I would ASK the doctor - especially if it's a potentially serious drug interaction. But I wouldn't overlook the pharmacist as another source of information. After all, pharmacists ARE educated and licensed, and giving information to patients is part of their job.
Also, they might be in a better position to make the call, and when
they don't feel they should, they refer right back to the doctor.

Since I have some background in pharmacology (although it goes back many years), I rely on my own knowledge and judgement too. There have been times when I've left the doctor's office with 2 or 3 prescriptions, only to not have them filled. Why? I went home and looked up the side effects, and decided that they were worse than the condition we were trying to treat.

Anyway......how's everyone's BP these days? I have a new cuff that I rarely use....even though I SHOULD. Thing is that I got SO well-controlled on meds that I stopped monitoring....which I should start again.

Or....I could just go see my doctor and rely on his judgement based on a few minutes in his office. Hmmmmm.....see what I'm saying?

Glad to see some familiar names here. Stay healthy, folks!

Jack

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 693 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/27/2012 12:01 PM
Anyway......how's everyone's BP these days?

My internist retired. The first new one I tried decided that my heart rate was too fast and so she changed my meds - after 6 years. The new stuff not only did NOT lower my heart rate but it didn't do as good a job with my BP (BP was still OK but not as low as it had been; it's generally around 115/75 - with the meds, of course). I was really ticked at myself afterwards for having let her talk me into a new med!!

I did NOT like her so I tried another doctor who is both an internist and a cardiologist. I had already gone back to the atenolol and he confirmed that it was doing a fine job. He thought my heart rate was OK.

The first doctor I tried took blood and urine without telling me in advance that she was going to do that. AND she never notified me of the results. I had the second doctor get the results and while some of the results were fairly meaningless (because it was NOT a fasting test), the other ones were all good. But he's going to do a fasting test on my next visit.

I've lost a few pounds - not much but every little bit helps (plus as my old internist used to say -- any loss is better than a gain!)

I'm still not doing any regular exercise although I know I should be. But I do go up and down the subway steps and walk to and from the subway, so that's better than nothing.

Hope everyone else is doing OK too.

Christina

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 694 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/27/2012 12:45 PM
Good to hear from you, Christina!

I'm still not doing any regular exercise although I know I should be. But I do go up and down the subway steps and walk to and from the subway, so that's better than nothing.

One suggestion. When I embarked on my regular exercise program about 20 years ago, I learned that I needed to push myself for the first few weeks or months. I don't mean "push" in the sense of pumping tons of iron or running a marathon. I mean making sure that I exercised at least 3 times per week.

It started with short (~1 mile) walks at lunchtime. The important thing is to make it part of your ROUTINE. I'd even have a little notebook to keep a log of my exercise.....but I didn't need that after a while. Because exercise became part of my LIFE......can't do without it.

Now I belong to a Club, which I love to attend. Full-service, with a pool, tennis courts, etc. Most of all....a lot of buddies. I need to go during the week, because then I'll get my "fix" of conversation....I don't know the weekend folks well enough.

Anyway, I would encourage ANYone to try to "get with" a regular exercise program. In the beginning, it's work.....with time, it's FUN!

Jack

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 695 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/27/2012 2:26 PM
As to club membership, when you get on Medicare, in this area Humana is offering free club memberships when you get their Medicare supplemental insurance.

For those who like clubs, sounds like a good deal. And not a bad way to keep in shape.

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 696 of 739
Subject: Re: Decongestants Date: 8/27/2012 9:49 PM
As to club membership, when you get on Medicare, in this area Humana is offering free club memberships when you get their Medicare supplemental insurance.

Thanks, Paul. Now that you mention it, I should look into that. I was just talking with a fellow member today, and she and I agreed that our
memberships are the biggest bargain in our lives. We get a break for senior membership, another for paying annually, and a third for renewing a month or so early. If you use the club a lot (at least 3x per week), it's incredibly cheap.

And not a bad way to keep in shape.

For me it's a GREAT way. Sure there are others, but hanging around like-minded folks makes exercise fun.

Jack

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement