No. of Recommendations: 0
I am currently doing my 1040 for 2000 and have stumbled across a situation.

Last year I received income from my current employer and also delayed commissions from a previous employer (company B) that I worked for in 1999 (2 sets of W2's). I was not a participant in my current employers retirment plan in 2000 and was not an employee for company B in 2000, so I was not a participant in their plan either.

My W2 from company B checked the pension square in box 15 of the W2 form that was sent to me. When I enter this into the tax preperation software it calculates that I can have a $790 tax deductible IRA. If I leave the pension box unmarked (as I should be able to since I was not an actual participant)than the software calculates a full $2000 deduction.

I called my old employer and they stated that wether or not the pension box was checked on the W2, I should be able to have a complete deduction. If that is the case why would the tax program perform the calculation that it did?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement