Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120820  
Subject: Deductible? Or Expensed? Date: 4/6/2013 10:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
No rush on this ..... it's a 2013 tax related question. :)

I'm in the process of becoming a franchisee. The franchisor requires me to have a residence in the franchise area.

We currently have a residence in Charlotte, North Carolina and the franchise area is in Savannah, Georgia. We will continue to maintain the Charlotte residence because our daughter's family is there (including our little grandson!), but we have rented an apartment in the Savannah area and furnished it to meet the franchisor requirement and facilitate our day to day involvement in the local franchise operations.

A large amount of our day to day franchise activity can be conducted remotely from Charlotte, but we'll definitely also be in Savannah. I anticipate spending about half my time in each location. It's a 3 1/2 hour trip each way. Definitely a burden, but it seems to be well worth it.

My questions seem to be amazingly clueless to me, but that's where my knowledge is at this point. Gotta start somewhere!

Questions:

1) Is the Savannah residence deductible on my personal return as a business expense? I suspect not and that the only available deduction would be partial internet expenses (for example).

2) Alternatively, even though the apartment is in our names, could the business pay the rent and utilities and retroactively pay me back for the furnishing of the apartment? Would that have to be considered income for me?

3) Can my company pay me for the travel to and from Savannah? Is this considered income for me? At this point, I just have my personal car, but imagine I'll eventually get a company car. Obviously, I'm unclear on what is considered a company expense versus a personal commuting expense and want to have an understanding now in hope that planning ahead might help.

Thanks.

Rob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement