Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an IRA account (contributions were deductible, or pre-tax) which had one stock that has now gone to practically zero in value. If I sell the stock, withdraw the nearly zero proceeds, and pay the penalty on those proceeds, is there a way to deduct the loss from my earned income?

Probably not, but it seems worth checking.

The commission for selling this stock is probably greater than the value of the stock, and I will end up owing the custodian brokerage money. I am not eligable to contribute to this IRA because of my company's 401K plan. How would the payment of that commission be treated for taxes? Can I legally pay the commission, which is essentially a contribution?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.