Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: marcojj Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121189  
Subject: Deducting My Drive to Work Date: 2/6/2001 5:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was filing out my tax forms and came across an area where I was asked: "Did you incur auto expenses for your job." It then stated: "for example, standard mileage rate deductions, gas, oil, repairs, depreciation, lease payments, etc."

I just work at a regular old office job, so I suppose I could take a bus or bike to work if I wanted. Anyway, my question is, can I deduct these expenses?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45815 of 121189
Subject: Re: Deducting My Drive to Work Date: 2/6/2001 6:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
No you can't. If you were a salesman and were not reimbursed for expenses, you could. Or if your regular place of work were A and you had to go to B from A to do some task (I don't think going straight from home to B works here), you could, on the expense of going from A to B although not on the expense of going from home to A. But otherwise, no. This is mentioned very briefly on Page A-5 of your 1040 Instructions, with a reference to Publication 529.

Author: marcojj Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45816 of 121189
Subject: Re: Deducting My Drive to Work Date: 2/6/2001 6:10 PM
thank you.

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45819 of 121189
Subject: Re: Deducting My Drive to Work Date: 2/6/2001 6:29 PM
Commuting is not deductible.
If you work in one location, and your daily itinerary is from home to work and back home (maybe stopping at supermarket) you can't deduct anything.
If your employment requires that you work in more than one location on the same day, the miles between the two locations are deductible. So if your company has two offices and you work in one location in the morning, and the other in the afternoon, the difference between is deductible.
Best wishes, Chris

Author: res2 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45844 of 121189
Subject: Re: Deducting My Drive to Work Date: 2/7/2001 1:59 AM
If you operated a home business, could you then deduct travel to your day job?
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement