Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We hosted a foreign exchange student from Aug 16, 1998 until May 25, 1999. Since the child lived with us for only 5 months in the tax year of 1999, I am unclear about whether or not I can claim a deduction?

Based on what I understand - I can deduct only $50 per month for each month the child lived here. Is this correct? Am I missing anything else with deductions relted to hosting the student?

Thanks for your insight into this little discussed deduction.

P.S. It was a great experience - and I learned a lot about the Brazilian Real and their economy...
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.