Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a question about claiming deductions from a prior year. Last year, I was married for the first time in September. My wife received a divorce from her prior husband in August. I had a lot of expenses that I could have itemized, but we filed as married filing separate, and she claimed the standard exemption not itemizing, so I had to do the same, which cost me a lot. I had sold some stock I owned to finance the wedding and related expenses, which boosted me from the lowest tax bracket into the next bracket with an AGI of about $28,000 last year. I am now divorced from my wife, as of the 13th of this month. My question, can I itemize this expenses from last year on this years return filing single?

Jackson Andersen
Provo, Utah
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.