Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, all.

My wife's nephew just got accepted to Indiana University for a 2-year Master's degree program. (Hurray!)

He is Russian, has no money, and so we will be footing the bills for the degree, room and board, insurance, and car. Probably $50,000 all-in. (Boo!)

I am looking for ideas on how to lessen our financial hit. Specifically, I am wondering if we can deduct some of these costs by claiming him as a dependent. He's a close relative -- son of my wife's maternal half-brother. He's 21 years old. And he will be living with us at least initially.

Anyone ever dealt with a situation similar to this, and found tax advantages in it?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.