Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I took a few courses in my community college for the first time this year. I paid for the tuition and other expenses (books, lab supplies etc) with my personal savings. Is there any tax credit or deduction I can use on my Federal Income Taxes? What expenses are eligible and what documentation should I have, beside receipts? Is the college required to send me any Federal form like W-2 or 1099?

I normally use the standard deduction as I don't have enough deductions to itemize. Will I be able to use the education deductions/credits (if any)with standard deduction or do I have to itemize?

Thanks for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.