Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JOEGGFOOL One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 9/28/2000 10:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Does the Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election apply to one's residence. If so, does the $250k cap gains deduction also apply to this transaction??
Print the post Back To Top
Author: danarosas Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40412 of 121592
Subject: Re: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 9/28/2000 10:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
How much can I deduct on capital gain on my personal residence? I live in California. Thanks Dana

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40413 of 121592
Subject: Re: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 9/28/2000 11:16 PM
How much can I deduct on capital gain on my personal residence? I live in California.

If you've owned and lived in your principal residence for 2 of the 5 years preceding the sale, you can exclude $250,000 of gain ($500,000 on a joint return), assuming you've excluded gain from another sale within the previous 2 years. There's an article in the FAQ and information in IRS Publication 523.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40414 of 121592
Subject: Re: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 9/28/2000 11:21 PM
JOEGGFOOL: "Does the Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election apply to one's residence. If so, does the $250k cap gains deduction also apply to this transaction??"

Our esteemed Bob78164 wrote about this possibility months (and months) ago (search for "Shore sale") if you are interested, and my recollection of his conclusion after further research (including correspondence with Kaye Thomas [KATinChicagoLand here on TMF boards] and the force behind the fairmark website) was that the $250k single (or $500k married) capital gain exclusion could not be applied in conjunction with the deemed sale of a primary residence.

I am certain that Bob will be along and fill in the details so that you need not rely upon my faulty memory.

Regards, JAFO

Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40416 of 121592
Subject: Re: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 9/29/2000 12:49 AM
JOEGGFOOL writes:

Does the Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election apply to one's residence. If so, does the $250k cap gains deduction also apply to this transaction?

I reply:

I had that very idea about two years ago. Run a search on this board for "Shore sale." Be sure to read the WHOLE thread, because I quote the opinion of Kaye Thomas, author of www.fairmark.com , a tax attorney (unlike me). Unfortunately, the answers appear to be yes and NO, in that order. In other words, it's a really BAD idea because you will pay taxes on gain that likely otherwise would have been excludable from income. --Bob

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40417 of 121592
Subject: Re: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 9/29/2000 8:11 AM
Run a search on this board for "Shore sale."

Here's a link to the thread, which was before my time on the board: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=10785869. I had a great time reading it, but I've always enjoyed a treasure hunt.

The way this whole thing weaves together is an excellent example of why the answer to tax questions is so often "maybe."

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: OysterCracker Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40452 of 121592
Subject: Re: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 9/30/2000 12:24 PM
Wow - I thought I was beginning to get a handle on capital gains taxes, and then this thing popped up.... One quick question - Can I apply the DS&R Election to a stock that is valued below purchase price and take a capital gains loss in 2001?
Thanks,
~OC~

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40469 of 121592
Subject: Re: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 10/1/2000 11:36 PM
Can I apply the DS&R Election to a stock that is valued below purchase price and take a capital gains loss in 2001?

No. I believe this is covered in the FAQ.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: OysterCracker Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40542 of 121592
Subject: Re: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 10/3/2000 1:40 PM
No. I believe this is covered in the FAQ.

Thanks for your reply. For a change, I had actually checked the TS FAQ prior to posting, but didn't see anything relevant. I still can't find it, but it's probably there.

~OC~

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40549 of 121592
Subject: Re: Deemed Sale and Repurchase Election ? Date: 10/3/2000 6:21 PM
For a change, I had actually checked the TS FAQ prior to posting, but didn't see anything relevant. I still can't find it, but it's probably there.

The pesky critters have a way of hiding from you. Thanks for trying. Here's a link: http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/1999/taxes990924.htm

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement