Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SockPuppetMan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1568  
Subject: Re: To all those against it... Date: 10/29/2008 1:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Default on an obligation to pay these people huge bonuses?

Andrea,

This is a bit complicated, way above my head at least, but I'll do my best to explain what I know.

Not default on bonuses but default on these mortgages. A big number of mortgages were repackaged and securitised, sold as Mortgage Baked Securities, and then redistributed to the whole world with promises that houses always go up in value.

As the housing bubble cooled and burst and the income stream slowed down as the cost of these homes were under water but many of them were still receiving partial income coming in from the mortgages in the securities, although, many were at a lesser rate because of people beginning to lose their jobs and such.

When these mortgage companies started going under, countries the world over now have securities that are, according to Mark to Market accounting, worthless.

If it says anything, Mark to Market accounting was championed by Enron.

So, unless the U.S. does something to settle these obligations, our image to the world would be tarnished and maybe even destroyed since the U.S. is the only country in history to never have defaulted on their obligations.

Since the U.S. Government has some of these loans in their possession, when they picked Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, they are pretty much obligated to the world to resolve this issue.

What sucks is that we had to pay this much for them and that so much of the money used to purchase it is going to individuals that belong in jail but I digress.

Dispicable but the only option left, imho.

-_- Alex -_-
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement