Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kosmickij Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Deferred Compensation Plan Date: 2/7/1999 3:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently wrote a question on the tax strategy board and received a response I found to be very thought provoking and well informed. The author was William Lipp. Is this person employed by TMF or is he a privateer? Just curious as I've never seen his name on the boards before.

Additionally, I have a related question regarding my department's deferred compensation plan. Unlike IRA's, the deferred comp plan offers nothing but mutual fund investing. Though I can contribute up to $7500 annually, would this still be a Foolish investment considering I won't be able to invest in common stocks?

A response from any of your fine experts is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BookmFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9712 of 121585
Subject: Re: Deferred Compensation Plan Date: 2/7/1999 10:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Though I can contribute up to $7500 annually, would this still be a Foolish investment considering I won't be able to invest in common stocks?

Any amount of cash that can be put to use in a tax-deferred account is Foolish, provided u have funds that are also. Find out what your options are as far as what u have to choose from, how many choices do you have. Are there any low-cost index funds available in your plan.

You didn't say if your plan was a 401k, 403, 457 or what.
You would do well to arm yourself with some Foolish knowledge from the Fool School, or the Foolish 401k School, if u haven't already.

Author: BookmFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9715 of 121585
Subject: Re: Deferred Compensation Plan Date: 2/7/1999 10:53 PM
Sorry I broke my response up. Here is the Foolish 401k url: http://www.fool.com/money/401k/401k.htm

Should help.

Sorry all for taking up extra posts.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9899 of 121585
Subject: Re: Deferred Compensation Plan Date: 2/10/1999 11:01 PM
[[ I recently wrote a question on the tax strategy board and received a response I
found to be very thought provoking and well informed. The author was William
Lipp. Is this person employed by TMF or is he a privateer? Just curious as I've
never seen his name on the boards before.]]

We are INDEED lucky to have William visit us from time to time. Unless he's an undercover agent, he is not employed by TMF, and donates his time and knowledge to this folder without compensation.

[[ Additionally, I have a related question regarding my department's deferred
compensation plan. Unlike IRA's, the deferred comp plan offers nothing but
mutual fund investing. Though I can contribute up to $7500 annually, would this
still be a Foolish investment considering I won't be able to invest in common
stocks?]]

Not technically. The Fool abhors a mutual fund. Why? Because 90% of 'em underperform the market. If you are offered a GOOD mutual fund, then you might consider it. If not, you might want to dump your deferred comp money in the Index 500 fund...that will mirror the market.

But you will STILL be putting money away on a tax deferred basis...which is ALWAYS Foolish.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: WilliamLipp Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10039 of 121585
Subject: Re: Deferred Compensation Plan Date: 2/12/1999 1:26 AM
: kosmickij Date: 2/7/99 3:30 PM Number: 9691
I recently wrote a question on the tax strategy board and received a response I found to be very thought provoking and well informed. The author was William Lipp. Is this person employed by TMF or is he a privateer?

Hey! A fan letter! Thanks.

Just a middle aged self employed guy that has been intensively researching tax strategies and enjoys sharing his discoveries. My friends were all getting very tired of the sharing - these boards have been a real joy for me. I'm in the midst of a month of travel, though, which leaves me behind in my sharing.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement