Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just read that one way to avoid paying capital gains taxes was to invest in stocks within an IRA. The tax is thus assessed only when the money is taken out of the IRA.

I am 64, been retired for 7 years, I am not a financial wizard, (I am an engineer), but have done quite well in the market. I have no debts (a financial advisor told me I was out of my mind. I should morgage my paid off house and go as deep in debt as I can and invest in the market as I can "make a lot of money there") Well I am happy where I am and plan on keeping out of debt. Can I transfer the bulk of my stocks to an IRA for my 54 year old child bride. When my wife and I die, the children would inherit the IRA. Who knows, I might die from an od of viagra tomorrow. Thus they would pay the taxes out of their inheritance. Anyway, what do you think of this idea?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.