UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1963177  
Subject: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/6/2012 8:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 83
Catholic Charities received a total of nearly $2.9 billion from the US government in 2010. In comparison, its annual revenue was $4.67 billion. Only about $140 million came from donations from diocesan churches, the remainder coming from in-kind contributions, investments, program fees, and community donations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Charities

And that's just ONE faith based organization receiving government funding.

Is it worth borrowing money from China to keep that funding?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821885 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/6/2012 8:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 18
Why are we funding churches in the first place?
This flies in the face of Separation of Church and State.

And those on the right p|ss and moan about government funding of PBS.
Can only shake my head at the stupidity.

AM

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821886 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/6/2012 8:42 PM
Recommendations: 0
Yeah... kissing off Catholic voters is even smarter than going after Elmo.

That would be the Obama smooth move of the century!

Author: N56629 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821889 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/6/2012 8:47 PM
Recommendations: 2
"Catholic Charities received a total of nearly $2.9 billion from the US government in 2010."

Yet all Liberal Republicans support it. Churches don't pay taxes, although they should.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821893 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/6/2012 9:11 PM
Yeah... kissing off Catholic voters is even smarter than going after Elmo.

That would be the Obama smooth move of the century!
=============================

But Obama isn't saying to cut funding it. Where did you get that idea. It's Mitt that is saying to defund all programs not important enough to borrow money from China to support.

So you think Catholic Charities is worth borrowing to fund?

I wonder how much the Mormon Charities get.

Jean

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821894 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/6/2012 9:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
Why are we funding churches in the first place?
This flies in the face of Separation of Church and State.

And those on the right p|ss and moan about government funding of PBS.
Can only shake my head at the stupidity.

AM
================================

Catholic Charities is not the church. It's a separate not for profit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Office_of_Faith-Bas...

The White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships,[1] formerly the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives (OFBCI) is an office within the White House Office that is part of the Executive Office of the President of the United States.

OFBCI was established by President George W. Bush through executive order[2] on January 29, 2001, representing one of the key domestic policies of Bush's campaign promise of "compassionate conservatism." The initiative sought to strengthen faith-based and community organizations and expand their capacity to provide federally-funded social services, with the idea having been that these groups were well-situated to meet the needs of local individuals.

Obama supports it the faith based organizations.

President Barack Obama renamed the office [4] and appointed Joshua DuBois as its head. He also established an advisory council for the office. The Advisory Council is composed of religious and secular leaders and scholars from different backgrounds.

Safeguards on faith-based organizationsFaith-based organizations are eligible to participate in federally administered social service programs to the same degree as any other group, although certain restrictions on FBOs that accept government funding have been created by the White House to protect separation of church and state.

They may not use direct government funds to support inherently religious activities such as prayer, worship, religious instruction, or proselytization.
Any inherently religious activities that the organizations may offer must be offered separately in time or location from services that receive federal assistance.
FBOs cannot discriminate on the basis of religion when providing services (GAO 2006:13[3]).

Jean

Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821897 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/6/2012 9:27 PM

That is exactly what Romny was saying

Cut Big Bird, Cut the Pope ....

Bears

Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821903 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/6/2012 9:38 PM
But Obama isn't saying to cut funding it. Where did you get that idea. It's Mitt that is saying to defund all programs not important enough to borrow money from China to support.

?????

So, Obama is saying "he will keep funding unimportant, non government crap and pay for it by selling debt to the Chinese, which our children will get stuck paying off down the road"?

I get so confused trying to follow Obama

Bears

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821918 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/6/2012 10:18 PM
So, Obama is saying "he will keep funding unimportant, non government crap and pay for it by selling debt to the Chinese, which our children will get stuck paying off down the road"?

I get so confused trying to follow Obama

======================================

So are you saying Catholic Charities are unimportant crap? Romney isn't.

Romney didn't mention cutting funding for the faith based organizations.

Jean

Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821933 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/7/2012 12:37 AM
Recommendations: 39
"So, Obama is saying "he will keep funding unimportant, non government crap and pay for it by selling debt to the Chinese, which our children will get stuck paying off down the road"?"

No. Obama was not saying that. That must have been the voices from the tin foil head projecting into your head.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821963 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/7/2012 10:36 AM
Recommendations: 3
Mitt's logic has us borrowing from the Chinese to fund scofflaw Catholic illegal immigration sanctuarys.

Money is fungible. Anybody who works for an ngo know how to creatively direct funding.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271009,00.html

........."Participating churches in San Diego, Seattle, Chicago and New York ....will provide legal council, accompany people to court hearings and prepare plans to house them in churches if authorities try to deport them. In New York, religious leaders gathered at the Roman Catholic Church of St. Paul the Apostle and said their promise of sanctuary could include financial assistance, legal help and physical protection, if necessary....

Anti-illegal immigration groups called the sanctuary effort misguided.
The faith groups "don't seem to realize that they are being charitable with someone else's resources, and that's not charity," said Ira Mehlman of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, which favors limits on immigration. We are talking about illegal immigrants taking someone else's job, filling up the classroom of someone else's child," he said.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821966 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/7/2012 10:57 AM
Participating churches in San Diego, Seattle, Chicago and New York
============================

Wow, I didn't realize how much the Church was involved in immigration. A simple search (catholic charities immagration) brought up all kinds of cities, even fairly small ones.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8...

I wonder if they help immigrants that are gay?

Jean

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821989 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/7/2012 12:14 PM
Jeanwa wrote: Is it worth borrowing money from China to keep that funding?

No.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821991 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/7/2012 12:17 PM
AngelMay wrote: Why are we funding churches in the first place? This flies in the face of Separation of Church and State. And those on the right p|ss and moan about government funding of PBS. I can only shake my head at the stupidity.

I agree. It's stupid to fund churches in this way. Maybe President Romney will convince Congress that it's not beneficial to our nation's fiscal health to borrow money from China to fund America's churches.

Out => Tax deductions for all churches

Out => Tax deductions for PBS

Out => Tax deductions for all charitable contributions

You down with that?

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822008 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/7/2012 12:50 PM
Recommendations: 6
Lib: Why are we funding churches in the first place?
Neocon: I agree. It's stupid to fund churches in this way.

We aren't "funding churches."

We are funding ngo's that are run by 'the church.'

Schools, soup kitchens, hospitals, allll kinds of faith based ngo's are supposed to spend that money on specific items with NO RELIGIOUS STRINGS ATTACHED AND NO RELIGIOUS BASED HIRING DISCRIMINATION.

This is exactly why the Catholic CHurch is being taken to task. They get government funding, hire non-catholic employees, then tell the employees that they must toe the catholic line. That's a federal bozo no-no.

If you want the taxpayer dollars, you need to observe separation of church/state in the disposal of those dollars.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822010 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/7/2012 12:51 PM
I am all for eliminating this program. It is just another form of crony capitalism in the charities' market. Government has NO business funding charities.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822063 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/7/2012 5:02 PM
Yes - because every foreign government that figuratively spits in our faces also gets billions in aid. If we defund Catholic Charities, lets do the same for Isreal, and every other Government receiving US foreign aid.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822176 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/8/2012 7:02 AM
I do not know the cost/benefit of funding Catholikc Charities.

I do find it funny however, that those are the first to choose to do so, are those that believe most strongly in an expansive safety net.

Their idea? Take out an organization that tries to help the weakest among us, and does so by combining it's own fairly vast resources and infrastructure to spend that money.

Would we still need to address the issues that Catholic Charities hepls with, except need to do more directly from government? Probably in the view of those that wish to defund Catholic Charities.

Would we get more or less bang for the buck? I do not know, if yes, we should defund Catholic Charities. There is a boatload of free labor with this as with all other charities as most people do not file for their time and expenses while helping charities, gas money, ehhhhhh can't be bothered.

How much do we lose? I am guessing more than we gain. Same goes with removing any deduction for charities. Why ? oohhhhh you hypocrite -- you just said most people do not file!!! But the money men/ organizations do, they grease the skids for all the folks who give away their time and money.

Frankly, I do not understand why folks want to bite their respective noses to spite their faces. But I do not respect liberals at all, so I have no surprise in who wants to hurt their own cause(were helping folks their actual cause) most

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822191 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/8/2012 8:27 AM
I do find it funny however, that those are the first to choose to do so, are those that believe most strongly in an expansive safety net.

--------------------------------------

I think you need to read the thread again. CCinOC, IF, eatenbybears and Nemesistolibs are liberals? Who knew.

AM is the only liberal...well, I'm not sure what Nwithnumbers thinks about the funding, since they just mention that churches should pay tax.

I'm not saying to defund them? I was asking what others thought.

How about following the law? Do you think Catholic Charities should have to follow the anti discrimination laws?

Here's a link to the whole thread for you.

http://boards.fool.com/defund-catholic-charities-30304650.as...

Jean

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822220 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/8/2012 11:12 AM
Catholic Charities received a total of nearly $2.9 billion from the US government in 2010. In comparison, its annual revenue was $4.67 billion. Only about $140 million came from donations from diocesan churches, the remainder coming from in-kind contributions, investments, program fees, and community donations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Charities

And that's just ONE faith based organization receiving government funding.

This is what happens when you quote wiki without going to the original source.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/29/us/for-bishops-a-battle-ov...

That money is for government contracts for foster care and adoption services.

Unlike PBS, this is not free money from tax payers.

Regardless of what anyone may think of Catholic Charities, this money was awarded to them in the same manner as any other charity that bids for state and federal contracts. If you want to remove federal funding for all such services, fine, that is your call and I won't argue with you.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822222 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/8/2012 11:16 AM
That money is for government contracts for foster care and adoption services.

Unlike PBS, this is not free money from tax payers.

========================================

Huh, where do you think the government money comes from for those government contracts if not the tax payers?

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822226 of 1963177
Subject: Re: Defund Catholic Charities? Date: 10/8/2012 11:50 AM
Huh, where do you think the government money comes from for those government contracts if not the tax payers?

You have a logical fallacy.

You are trying to conflate the awarding of government contracts for services rendered as the same as a government gimmee.

Catholic Charities was awarded a government contract in much the same manner as SAIC who was recently awarded a government contract by the U.S. Navy Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/saic-awarded-contract-u-navy-1...

I hope you can understand the difference between a contract for work performed and government hand-outs. If PBS wanted to submit a bid and it had to compete with other stations for goverment dollars, then you would have a more accurate comparison.

That being said, even government contracts should be reviewed for their efficiency so I am not opposed to eliminating them if there is a better way or the services simply are not needed.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement