Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fantom2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: delaying ss payments? Date: 3/14/2000 4:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was told several years ago that if I retired from ss work at 62, but didn't start collecting payments until 65, that I'd still only get the age 62 payment. Doesn't sound right. Is this true? Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2881 of 19483
Subject: Re: delaying ss payments? Date: 3/14/2000 4:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Fantom2, and welcome. You asked:

<<I was told several years ago that if I retired from ss work at 62, but didn't start collecting payments until 65, that I'd still only get the age 62 payment. Doesn't sound right. Is this true? >>

No, it is not true. Your benefit is based on your total work history. If you stop working entirely at age 62, you have a choice. Take the benefit then or wait until full retirement age. At full retirement age (65+ if you were born in 1938 or later)you have a benefit based on your work history that ended at age 62. If you take the benefit at age 62, though, you will only get about 80% of the benefit that would otherwise be payable at that full retirement age.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement