UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBiologyFool Three stars, 500 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: Deleting pages Date: 7/1/2008 5:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
OK, so I figured out how to move an article to change its title, but how do I delete the old one.

If I don't have the power (not such a bad idea) Index Fund (big F) needs to be deleted.

-Brian
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25 of 597
Subject: Re: Deleting pages Date: 7/1/2008 6:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I took care of it Brian by deleting it as you suggested. Thanks for delinking the big-F version.

"Moving" a page in the MediaWiki software doesn't mean move, interestingly enough. It actually means "copy from A to B, and have A redirect to B." This leaves a duplicate redirect pages out there that we can clean up eventually.

For now I'm catching these duplicates as I see them, making sure they aren't linked from anywhere, and deleting them manually. It's not the best process but I'm happy to take care of the housecleaning. :) If you see any more like this, post them here or email Flossary@fool.com and we'll take care of 'em.

Jeremy

Author: TMFBiologyFool Three stars, 500 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26 of 597
Subject: Re: Deleting pages Date: 7/1/2008 7:02 PM
"Moving" a page in the MediaWiki software doesn't mean move, interestingly enough. It actually means "copy from A to B, and have A redirect to B." This leaves a duplicate redirect pages out there that we can clean up eventually.

So is that the way to solve my acronym issue (ie move
Prescription Drug User Fee Act to PDUFA but don't delete either). Does that really make just one copy? Or can you edit them independently (which is obviously not what we want)?

-Brian

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27 of 597
Subject: Re: Deleting pages Date: 7/1/2008 7:19 PM
If you were to move Prescription Drug User Fee Act to PDUFA, anyone clicking a link to Prescription Drug User Fee Act would be redirected to PDUFA. The URL would still say "Prescription Drug User Fee Act" but when you edit you would be changing both.

Maybe "copy" isn't the right word. Moving merges the two until someone deletes one or removes the redirect.

Let me know if that helps. I'm happy to clarify further.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement