UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stocks2grow Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190806  
Subject: Dell laptop screen and inverter problem Date: 3/31/2008 8:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently replaced the inverter in my Dell B130 laptop because the screen was blank (very very very dim actually). That got it running again, but within a few days, the screen started going blank again, only not all the time. Now it randomly goes blank every few minutes (not at any constant time period), and the only way to bring it back is close the lid and open it again, which gives me another 30 seconds to a few minutes of use. Any ideas what causes this? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike
Print the post Back To Top
Author: emtwo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 141523 of 190806
Subject: Re: Dell laptop screen and inverter problem Date: 3/31/2008 9:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I recently replaced the inverter in my Dell B130 laptop because the screen was blank (very very very dim actually). That got it running again, but within a few days, the screen started going blank again, only not all the time. Now it randomly goes blank every few minutes (not at any constant time period), and the only way to bring it back is close the lid and open it again, which gives me another 30 seconds to a few minutes of use. Any ideas what causes this? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Mike,

If you've replaced the inverter, and the problem is still not fixed, I'd look to the next component in line which would be the CCFL, or Backlight; it's either on the verge of total failure, or perhaps the connection between it and the inverter is loose.

v/r

Michael

Author: stocks2grow Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143451 of 190806
Subject: Re: Dell laptop screen and inverter problem Date: 6/4/2008 2:50 PM
Thanks - well, a few months later, I have not only replaced the inverter, but the entire screen and backlight. It still stays on for a few minutes, then goes dim/blank unless I close and open the cover. Since I've had it VERY apart, and reconnected all the cables a few times I am guessing it's not a loose connector, as this phenomenon happens without even touching the laptop. Any other idea anyone?

Thanks again for all the suggestions,
Mike

Author: emtwo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143511 of 190806
Subject: Re: Dell laptop screen and inverter problem Date: 6/5/2008 8:58 PM
Any other idea anyone?

Wow...Inverter, Backlight, and LCD...

Only two components left...well three..

The cable connecting the inverter to the...

Video Card which is connected to the...

Motherboard.

If you've eliminated the video driver, then you're halfway through your component list.

Sorry I've not been more help...

v/r

Michael

Author: stocks2grow Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143848 of 190806
Subject: Re: Dell laptop screen and inverter problem Date: 6/18/2008 3:32 PM
Any thoughts are good help at this point. I appreciate the reply. I will check those cables. I first plan to attach the laptop to a monitor and if that screen doesn't go blank, there should be something gained. Would that isoloate it anymore? What might that tell me?

Mike

Author: stocks2grow Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143950 of 190806
Subject: Re: Dell laptop screen and inverter problem Date: 6/25/2008 4:46 PM
Here's an update, for what it's worth... Anyone have any ideas?

I did plug the laptop into a monitor and the monitor stays on fine. I watched both the laptop screen and the monitor, and after about a minute the laptop screen went dim / black, but the monitor stayed on fine. So wherever the signal splits and decides to go to either the laptop screen or the monitor, the problem must be after that point.

Obviously the inverter and bulb are likely, but since I already replaced them (in fact the whole laptop screen assembly and inverter) and the symptoms are the same, is anything else possible seeing as it works fine on a monitor? I'll wiggle cables, but there might be something else.

Thanks again,
Mike

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement