UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: orchardhill Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190819  
Subject: dell power supply making noise Date: 5/30/2007 10:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a Dell precision 340, and sometimes when I turn it on, the power supply (or the fan in it?) is making a loud noise. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the power supply oneself? I'm not afraid of doing it if it just involves some screws and unhooking some cables--is there anything to watch out for?

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130482 of 190819
Subject: Re: dell power supply making noise Date: 5/30/2007 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If you can replace the plug on a lamp cord, you can replace a PC power supply. The cables are such that there is only one way to hook them up - unlike the lamp cord where there are two ways (and one of those is wrong).

That said, the biggest deal will be getting the power supply. It is my understanding Dell PCs have non-standard powersupplies and mother boards. So you probably have to get the power supply from Dell.

Dell does a good job at sendding (or putting on the web) instructions.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: MIKE3260 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130483 of 190819
Subject: Re: dell power supply making noise Date: 5/30/2007 12:12 PM
Here are the instructions if you need them.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ws340/smen/pwrsply.htm#1080045

Good luck,
Mike

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130492 of 190819
Subject: Re: dell power supply making noise Date: 5/30/2007 4:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
That said, the biggest deal will be getting the power supply. It is my understanding Dell PCs have non-standard powersupplies and mother boards. So you probably have to get the power supply from Dell.

PC Power & Cooling also carries Dell-compatable supplies: http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/dell/

Bob

Author: orchardhill Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130513 of 190819
Subject: Re: dell power supply making noise Date: 5/31/2007 3:37 PM
Thanks for the advice and the links. Do you think it matters whether I get a 250W or a 400W? Would something like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/250W-PSU-for-Dell-Dimension-4400-4500-4550-8200-8300_W0QQitemZ260122790200QQihZ016QQcategoryZ80173QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, Jim

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130662 of 190819
Subject: Re: dell power supply making noise Date: 6/5/2007 6:57 PM
Hey Jim,

I have a Dell precision 340...

Do you think it matters whether I get a 250W or a 400W?

It could, depending on the power needs of the computer. As Bob suggested, use PC Power & Cooling. I've purchased hardware from PCP&C before with no problems. Personally I'd call them and ask them for help finding the correct PS for your computer...

PC Power & Cooling 1-800-722-6555

ßillƒ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement