UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: madbrain Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Re: Nondeductible IRA or taxable account ? Date: 12/25/2005 2:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Deltaone,

Thank you very much for your helpful answer.
There is one part of your calculation I don't follow, however :

>For x1, this is tricky. Take 10% returns. Let's assume 2% are
>dividends are 8% are capital gains. You'd lose 15% of your 2% of
>dividend in taxes each year. So that's 0.3% off your annual rate
>of return. Then let's assume your average holding period is 4
>years. So 1/4 of your cap gains are sold every year as long term.
>Again at the 15% cap gains rate. This is (1/4) * 8% * 0.15 or
>another 0.30% off your aveage return.

If I buy an investment with an 8% appreciation, after 4 years the principal is worth 1.36 (very slightly more since the 8% is compounded, actually 1.36048896, but let's round it ;)). At the time of sale, I have to pay the 15% capital gains tax on the 0.36 capital gain. That takes 15% * 0.36 = 0.054 off the total return, which leaves a final principal of 1.306 after 4 years. This is an average annualized net return of (1.306 ^ 1/4) - 1= 6.9% . Ie, the taxes reduced the annual capital appreciation from 8% down to 6.9%, or in other words they reduced the annual return by 1.1%, not by 0.3% .

Also, unfortunately in my case, the 15% is only the federal capital gains tax rate. The state of California doesn't have a lower tax rate for capital gains, so they get taxed at the marginal bracket, which is the top 9.3% bracket for me. By account for the deductibility of the state taxes, this means my total capital gains taxes are 9.3% + 15% * (1 - 9.3%) = 22.9 % .
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement