UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (75) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: madbrain Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75378  
Subject: Re: Tax efficient investing for early retirement Date: 5/10/2006 7:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Deltaone81,

>I'm going to recommend the credit card board - not because you have credit card debt, but because of the people on there.

I'm already on there ;)

>For Vanguard, here's the Targetted Retirement 2025. ... 48% total stock market, ... That seems too conservative to me, but Vanguard is going to be readjusting their holdings to make them more stock oriented.

Yes, that definitely seems too conservative. I think I would be fine with having 4 - 5 funds instead, like I do in my 401k.

>No, but the growth in 20 years would be substanial. Don't scoff at that. $1000/month with 6% growth rates (definitely conservative for the market, even after tax) would be $455K. At 7%, $510K. At 8%, $570K. And at an aggressive but possible 10%, $724K. This is on top of your 401K of course.

That doesn't take into account for inflation, though. A 6% return with 3% inflation would still not go very far.

>I make half what you make give or take, and my gross is under your $85K-$90K/year after taxes. Now I know that price of living is different (but I'm near Boston, not in the midwest), but generally I can live on about $30K-$35K/year, and I go out to eat maybe once a week, have satellite TV, high speed internet, cell phone, etc and plenty of small indulgences.

I couldn't begin to make it on 30k out here.
18k for the mortgage, 3.6k on property taxes, 2.2k homeowner association, 1.7k for home electricity/gas/water, 4.8k groceries, 3k eating out, 2.7k insurance (auto/home/umbrella/earthquake), 2k health copays (yes, I get sick a lot), 2k for my 2 cats (vet, food, pet sitting, replacing damaged items, sigh). This is just from memory, and it's 40k already. Except for the eating out and the cats, it's only vital living expenses. That doesn't include a telephone, DSL, cell, satellite TV (all of which I have), netflix, gas for the car, required maintenance for the home and car. These add up to about another $6k annually. So that's $46k and still not a lot that I could cut without missing.
On the things I do regularly but could cut, I am learning piano and my lessons cost $2.5k annually. But I would rather learn younger than later - time is of essence, so I don't think I would cut that either unless I had no choice. I take a vacation at least once a year, occasionally twice, spending between $2k and $5k. So we are at about the $50k mark. I can't really think of anything else essential. That would appear to leave another $35k discretionary or almost $3k a month. I don't think I ever spent more than $10k a year on electronics. The ex-partner definitely cost a lot, but it still doesn't add up to $25k, although it could be easily half that. I'll have to check back at home in my records where the difference went.

Thanks for your comments about the index funds.

I'm afraid the ishares site is poorly designed and not working right in firefox (all fund names in the popup are hidden behind their "10 new sub-sector funds" ad). And I can't see the vanguard list without a login.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (75) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement