UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: captal07 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41594  
Subject: Re: 5 things I learned in 5 years Date: 1/28/2012 2:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Denny- I'm sorry to hear about Jim- I hope he is doing ok. I remember reading a lot of his posts back in the day. I'm thankful there are people like him around. I do consider these losses as my "investing 101" and I can see a lot of things that I did emotionally that I never should have done. It's kind of like paying for my education, except I got a lot less out of it than I did my actual degrees! Hopefully these lessons will pay for themselves in the end.

I had a look at the BMW screens at bmwmethod.com - I have positions in C, GE and JNJ. Shouldn't I be THRILLED that they're so low right now? If I liked JNJ 5 years ago at $65 I should LOVE it now. Once I finish The Intelligent Investor I want to look through these three stocks and see if I should still own them. I may not have made any money on JNJ, but I own 15% more JNJ than I did 5 years ago. Not a great CAGR, but better than a lot of my other investments.

Murph- thank you for sharing that post. You sound a lot like Graham! You talk about having a plan, but it's really hard for me to imagine a long term plan at the age of 30. Are you suggesting that if I plan on retiring at say, 60, then I need to figure out what kind of CAGR I need with my current assets and any planned additions and then see if I can create a reasonable plan to do so?

To be honest- I don't want to spend a lot of time on research and watching stock prices. I want to trade infrequently and hold quality companies for a long time and not even worry about my portfolios. I think aiming for companies with dividends is a great idea as I'm thrilled at what JNJ has done over time, even though I'm only up 2.5% on the stock in the last 5 years. I can see what dividends could do over 10, 20 and 30 years without having me do anything but sign up for DRIPS. Also- is there an effective way to dollar cost average at smaller values? If I invested $200 in a company per quarter for example, paying $10-12 per trade is an awful lot.

Graham talks about holding 25-75% bonds - are bonds still worth buying today? I looked into TIPS and it looked like they were near 0.

Good to hear from you both- anyone else still lurking around?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Real Estate Investment Trusts

Roosting Chickens: The CWH Saga
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement