UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mmillerpt Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10543  
Subject: Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo Date: 10/26/2012 8:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi All,

My Denon AVR-3310ci just went out, think maybe it is the HDMI board. It is still covered under the extra year of warranty thanks to American Express. Just looking ahead here, if it is quite expensive to repair and the cost of a new receiver is not much more, which one do I go for. I did have a Yamaha RX-V2200, then replaced that with the Denon. Looking at the Denon 3313CI, not sure which Onkyo or Yamaha. Just thought I might turn to the gurus to see what sage advice you might have.

Thank you in advance.

Michael
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9881 of 10543
Subject: Re: Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo Date: 10/26/2012 8:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
That's sort of like asking camera people "Canon or Nikon?". Both are good. Personally, I'm a Yamaha guy. But there are people out there who will argue that Onkyo is the way to go (I believe it is a bit less expensive).

I have the RX-V1900, and it's great! The only problem I'm having with it is getting the remote programmed to control my BR player (and that's me, not the remote...and certainly not the receiver).

If AMEX is going to fix your unit, I wouldn't worry about it right now. I'm not familiar with the Denon, but a quick check shows it is highly rated by buyers.

1poorguy

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9882 of 10543
Subject: Re: Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo Date: 10/26/2012 9:02 PM
Hi All,

My Denon AVR-3310ci just went out, think maybe it is the HDMI board. It is still covered under the extra year of warranty thanks to American Express. Just looking ahead here, if it is quite expensive to repair and the cost of a new receiver is not much more, which one do I go for. I did have a Yamaha RX-V2200, then replaced that with the Denon. Looking at the Denon 3313CI, not sure which Onkyo or Yamaha. Just thought I might turn to the gurus to see what sage advice you might have.

Thank you in advance.

Michael

The question is can you get as good a base amp for the cost of repair? The Denon AVR-3310ci is a good base 7.1 amp that won’t go out of style for many years. (Michael’s Denon is at http://usa.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr-3310ci_lit629.pdf... )

I had the similar problem with my Pioneer BD-09 Blu-ray player when the reading module quit (a month after the warrantee expired) and I bit the bullet (about $400) for the repair. Yes, I could have bought a new player but, because the base frame of the BD-09 was excellent, I opted for repair.

I’d suggest the same with your Denon especially since it is covered under warrantee.

Down the road, don’t know really. If your Denon goes tango uniform in the future (and how long will that be?) then choices having as many features (and maybe more) will be there. When that happens take a hard sharp look at Yamaha. I have the Z-11 (cost about $5,500) and now Yamaha is offering much lower-priced units having all the Z-11’s features. Most amplifier makers are following that route.

MichaelR

Author: mmillerpt Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9883 of 10543
Subject: Re: Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo Date: 10/27/2012 12:35 AM
1poorguy and Michael

Thank you very much. I appreciate the input. I have enjoyed both of your posts of the years. Thank you for that.

Michael

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9884 of 10543
Subject: Re: Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo Date: 10/27/2012 1:45 AM
Recommendations: 1
1poorguy and Michael

Thank you very much. I appreciate the input. I have enjoyed both of your posts of the years. Thank you for that.

Michael

Thank you for the kind words. Glad to have helped.

MichaelR

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9885 of 10543
Subject: Re: Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo Date: 10/27/2012 4:16 PM
take a hard sharp look at Yamaha. I have the Z-11 (cost about $5,500)

Would you ever consider an Arcam, for example the AVR600?

http://www.hometheater.com/receivers/arcam_avr600_av_receive...

--fleg

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9886 of 10543
Subject: Re: Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo Date: 10/27/2012 5:57 PM
take a hard sharp look at Yamaha. I have the Z-11 (cost about $5,500)

Would you ever consider an Arcam, for example the AVR600?

http://www.hometheater.com/receivers/arcam_avr600_av_receive......

--fleg

The Arcam is at the high end of lower-priced amps and at the low end of high-priced amps. Arbitrarily that separation is in the $5-6,000 range: below that and it’s a competition of features; above and it’s a specialty market served by specialty designers creating the one-percent difference justifying the stratospheric price.

The Arcam is a good amp yet it competes with the high end Yamahas, Denons, Pioneers, and Onkyos. All of which are A/V self-contained as compared with high-end separates and mono blocks.

So comparatively while the Arcam is a substantial receiver and has the necessary licensing of Dolby/DTS I would (and did) choose the Yamaha Z-11. The Arcam has a nice design (Class G amplification and has a cool-running chassis) but I see it as not accomplishing what a similar priced comparable amp can such as DSP programs or speaker leveling such as YPAO or Audyssey.

The Arcam AV600 is, my view, a unit for the fiddler – the person who buys for the pleasure of altering because it can be altered. To these owners something is to be tweaked because it can be tweaked – and pay more for the opportunity. Sometimes a system is never perfect.

MichaelR

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9887 of 10543
Subject: Re: Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo Date: 10/27/2012 8:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well I'm not a guru, and I know nothing about Denon but I like my new Yamaha. I have no idea what Michael's can do that mine can't but it seems to have plenty of stuff to make me happy and it was waaaaay cheaper than Michael's. ;-)

I also thought about Onkyo because I've had an Onkyo stereo receiver since around 1981 that is still chugging along strong with only one little light out in all the years I've used it. But the problems I was reading about with Onkyo this year made me leery though I read that those problems have been mostly solved. (I didn't want to risk getting one that hadn't been fixed and having to deal with the firmware upgrade myself).

So all in all, I'm probably no help at all. ;-) So good luck and I hope AmEx takes care of it and makes this all a moot point for you.

RM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement