Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: namkato Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30782  
Subject: Dental hygiene Date: 3/17/2003 11:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm on day 28, 8 lbs down. Atkins.
168/160/130. Male age 50.
Question:
I just had my teeth deep cleaned today, and also had it done exactly 2 years ago. $360. No dental insurance as I'm self employed, and private dental ins. is just trading dollars for dollars. Has anyone had experience with low-carbing effects on keeping your teeth clean? My instinct tells me that carbs do most of the damage.
BTW, I love being able to eat all the bacon and eggs and fatty steak, etc. that I want to. My appetite has decreased a lot. My energy is better. And I have read a lot of great posts on this board.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5847 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/18/2003 7:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I find I get less plaque LCing, but annectdotal evidence is a very strange thing. We tend to see what we want to. I get mine cleaned every 6 months, (yes, insured,) and use a Sonic Care toothbrush which I swear by. On the Health and Nutrition board, there has been much discussion of grapefruit seed extract and how it improves your gums. I haven't tried it yet, but IIRC Honeyrider had some great results with it.

Have you considered going to a dental school in your area and letting them practice on you? I find cleanings to be so much easier when I go 2x per year.

InParadise

Author: funguscoffee One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5848 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/18/2003 8:57 AM
Has anyone had experience with low-carbing effects on keeping your teeth clean?

I was just mentioning to SO that my teeth feel a lot cleaner - my breath isn't always great, but I don't feel like I have algae growing on my teeth.

Also, my skin is clearer and my hair is less oily. You would think increasing fat would have the opposite effect.

Not complaining - even if I stop losing weight, the other benefits are enough to make this a WOE.

FC

Author: namkato Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5853 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/18/2003 10:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I like the dental school idea for cleaning. I also have a Sonic toothbrush, it's the greatest.

I had very oily skin and hair which has gone away on Atkins. To me, this is proof that carbs turn into fat, and fat does not. This was an unexpected benefit.

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5867 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/18/2003 3:27 PM
I find I get less plaque LCing, but annectdotal evidence is a very strange thing. We tend to see what we want to. I get mine cleaned every 6 months, (yes, insured,) and use a Sonic Care toothbrush which I swear by. On the Health and Nutrition board, there has been much discussion of grapefruit seed extract and how it improves your gums. I haven't tried it yet, but IIRC Honeyrider had some great results with it.

I just got my teeth cleaned this morning, too. I get them cleaned every four months because my gums have not been in the best shape.... I also have a Sonic Care toothbrush (and love it!). I've just started using Grapefruit Seed Extract in the last 6 weeks or so, and I do think it is making a big difference. Within just a couple weeks my gums began bleeding much less when I floss. Apparently it is good for a number of things! I put two drops on my toothbrush along with my toothpaste. It tastes horrible if it gets on the BACK section of the tongue, so try to avoid that. I find it doesn't bother me at all unless it hits the back of my tongue.

BTW, my gums were MUCH improved from the last visit!

Cassandra

Author: daoffer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5868 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/18/2003 3:51 PM
Recommendations: 1
namkato>>Has anyone had experience with low-carbing effects on keeping your teeth clean?

DH and I have both noticed our teeth getting cleaner. Mine are almost as smooth now as when I've had the dentist clean them. DH has some misaligned teeth which he used to go to the dentist for because the plaque buildup was awful. Now that we're LCing, we can both see the plaque retreating.

Debora

Author: saruchi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5870 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/18/2003 4:07 PM
My teeth are doing better, too. It's GOT to be the lack of sugar in our diets. I'll bet most dentists would agree.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5936 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/21/2003 6:59 AM
I just had my teeth deep cleaned today, and also had it done exactly 2 years ago. $360. No dental insurance as I'm self employed, and private dental ins. is just trading dollars for dollars.

Namkato,

I hope you don't mind but I discussed the above with my dental hygenist this week. I was frankly shocked at the price you paid, but due to insurance have never seen a bill so I had no clue as to the reasonablility of it. She told me that our regular cleanings are only $70 but would be in the $360 area if we only came every few years because it is just that much more work, (and pain if you ask me. Been there, done that.) Have you asked your dentist just how much a regular twice a year cleaning would be? We live on an island and our costs tend to be higher than the mainland, but even so had you gone for your twice a year cleaning here you would have only paid $280 over the past two years.

FWIW,

InParadise

Author: namkato Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5982 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/23/2003 1:54 AM
In Paradise,
I had a deep cleaning, with novacaine, as it had been 2 years since my last cleaning and I had some gum bleeding. More than just a routine cleaning, needed 2 separate appointments.

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5989 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/23/2003 5:51 PM
I've had deep cleaning done twice and am about to do it again, and this is after osseous, which is incredibly painful and horrid. I floss every day, brush 3 to 4 times a day, use a plaque rinse every morning, rubber tip AND proxy brush in the evening, and you know what? None of it has made much of an improvement because all my dentists tell me it is heriditary. There is something in my genes that makes plaque so much more difficult to get rid of; although, when I go for my quarterly cleanings, I rarely have any plaque at all.

I swear, some of us are simply doomed. I don't think a diet will change that. If you smoke, stopping smoking is supposed to help. I guess the rationale is that whatever is in cigarettes irritates the gums. And gum disease can lead to heart attacks . . . did you know that?

When I complained to my periodontist last week that I shouldn't have to undergo any more deep cleaning, he said that his patients do it as a regular routine, like every four to five years. Granted, I am a new patient and he hasn't examined my X-rays yet, so I'm hoping he's wrong about me.

But at least I have all my own teeth, which is more than I can say about some of my friends who struggle with this. Of course, they are all crowned. Guess I forgot to mention that.

elizabeth

Author: namkato Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6068 of 30782
Subject: Re: Dental hygiene Date: 3/26/2003 1:50 AM
elizabeth,
Yes, gum disease can cause heart disease. The latest thinking is that it causes inflammation, and the body's defenses against inflammation causes heart disease. Another nail in the coffin of the "high cholesterol" theory. And I too am hoping that I will not have the plaque return if I stay away from carbs. The benefits keep adding up. I believe it is hereditary because I have always had plaque trouble.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement