Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CraigAlan Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123523  
Subject: departure taxes Date: 10/19/1998 10:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
good day all,
i am a us citizen living/working in canada. i have every intention of returning to the states sometime in the next few years.

i just heard of a thing called a departure tax, where canada will take a 25% (i think) bite out of my investments, even though i haven't actually received any capital gains return.

that hurts, it costs me a quarter of my net worth just to get out of canada!

to the point, is there any investment structure which would help minimize the tax implications of returning to the US? holding company, limited partnership, others?

in the same line of thinking, what would be the best option for managing investments in a cross border situation like mine? should the i hold the portfolio in canada as part of my personal estate, park it in the US in a holding co. etc. etc. etc.???

any information would be greatly appreciated.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.