Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My daughter had her first job this year and she had taxes withheld. She also has dividend earnings. I'm sure she doesn't owe anything but I'm not sure what forms I have to fill out for her. She has 3700 in earnings, 24 in interest, Ordinary dividends (1099-DIV box 1) of 27, Total capital gains distributions (1099-DIV box 2a) of 183 and Qulaified 5-year gain (1099-Div box 2c) of 48. This is well below the 1500 limit but I have no idea what to do with boxes 2a and 2c.

Do we have to do a 1040 w/schedule D or can she do a 1040A? It looks like you can't do a 1040EZ if you have dividends. It's kinda intimidating that her first tax return EVER would need to be a 1040.

Thanks for the assist.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.