Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lorenzo98 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121160  
Subject: Dependency status of student? Date: 12/28/2000 5:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
1. Would a college student remain a dependent of his parents if the student earns the equivalent of tuition, room and board during a school year?

Details,
I am trying to figure the status of a full time college student, junior year, who earned about $20,000 while participating in a college sponsored internship program. He was enrolled in college during the internship which lasted from January to July. His job site was not in the state where he goes to school. Until this year he has had little income and has been a dependent of his parents.

I am aware that over 50% of a person's support must be provided in order to be declared a dependent but was wondering if students were treated differently.

2. If the student above is not a dependent of his parents because he earned more than half his support for the tax year, did he become a resident of the state where he goes to school upon returning to his studies in September?

Details,
Until now his state of residency has been that of his parents. The student has no intention of remaining in the state where he goes to school upon graduation in 2001.

Thanks,
jeff

Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43579 of 121160
Subject: Re: Dependency status of student? Date: 12/28/2000 5:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am aware that over 50% of a person's support must be provided in order to be declared a dependent but was wondering if students were treated differently.

With respect to the support test, no.

2. If the student above is not a dependent of his parents because he earned more than half his support for the tax year, did he become a resident of the state where he goes to school upon returning to his studies in September?

That depends on the laws of the states. Check the instructions for both states. The dependency status probably doesn't have any effect, but the student status may.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement