Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Two weeks ago a read through some of the articles from the Fool on Child Care and Dependent Care plans. I need some clarification on whether I can itemize the amount of my child care costs that are well above the $4800 my school district allows us to withdrawl into our Dependent Care plan account.

This is the scenario. I am going to withdrawl $480 a month for ten months into a child care account for a total of $4800. But, my child care costs could easily reach $8000 for the year. Can I itemize the $3200 on my tax form since this amount was not part of the Dependent Care withdrawl plan?

Someone who knows these issues well, please explain that I can do both or if I should just itemize the entire amount and stay away from the Dependent Care plan.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.