Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sepac Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121565  
Subject: dependent ?, etc. Date: 3/1/2001 10:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I lived with my mother in 2000 in her home which she owns solely. She is separated from her husband (my father).

I am single, I provided support to her, paid the household bills, etc. She had no job during 2000, she had income of only a few hundred dollars from bank account interest. My father lives elsewhere and provided no support to her.

Can I claim her as a dependent?

Can I file as head of household?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47520 of 121565
Subject: Re: dependent ?, etc. Date: 3/1/2001 11:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I lived with my mother in 2000 in her home which she owns solely. She is separated from her husband (my father).

I am single, I provided support to her, paid the household bills, etc. She had no job during 2000, she had income of only a few hundred dollars from bank account interest. My father lives elsewhere and provided no support to her.

Probably yes to both. Check out the five dependency tests in Publication 501. If your mother meets all five, she qualifies as your dependent. If she qualifies as your dependent and you paid more than half the cost of keeping up her home for the year, you qualify as head of household.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: BigBunkler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47523 of 121565
Subject: Re: dependent ?, etc. Date: 3/2/2001 5:56 AM
Recommendations: 8

--- --- ---
Probably yes to both. Check out the five dependency tests in Publication 501. If your mother meets all five, she qualifies as your dependent. If she qualifies as your dependent and you paid more than half the cost of keeping up her home for the year, you qualify as head of household.

=== === ===

But since the mother owns the house, it could be diffcult to meet the "Support Test" needed to claim someone as a dependent (p. 24ff of IRS Publication 17), which requires that "you must provide more than half of a person's total support during the calendar year."
--BigBunk

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47532 of 121565
Subject: Re: dependent ?, etc. Date: 3/2/2001 9:37 AM
Recommendations: 1
But since the mother owns the house, it could be diffcult to meet the "Support Test" needed to claim someone as a dependent (p. 24ff of IRS Publication 17), which requires that "you must provide more than half of a person's total support during the calendar year."

Not necessarily. It depends on who's making the mortgage payments, paying the taxes and utilities, etc. While he couldn't deduct mortgage interest that he pays for her, he certainly could consider the payments in determining support.

Phil Marti

Author: sepac Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47535 of 121565
Subject: Re: dependent ?, etc. Date: 3/2/2001 10:02 AM
Recommendations: 1

Not necessarily. It depends on who's making the mortgage payments, paying the taxes and utilities, etc. While he couldn't deduct mortgage interest that he pays for her, he certainly could consider the payments in determining support.

Thanks for the replys. The house is completely paid for. I paid all the ultilities and other expenses for her, groceries etc.

Author: BigBunkler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47575 of 121565
Subject: Re: dependent ?, etc. Date: 3/3/2001 5:54 AM
Recommendations: 7
--- --- ---

=== === ===

I still maintain that the "Support Test" will be the toughest criteria to be satisfied in this instance, since the mother does own the house.
--BigBunk

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement