Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ben275 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: dependents Date: 8/13/2001 12:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm supporting my parents who're living in Canada. I would like to know which piece of information/paper work I should enclose/attach with my 2001 tax fillings to take benifits of tax deduction related to my parents/dependents
Thanks
Ben
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53297 of 121219
Subject: Re: dependents Date: 8/13/2001 1:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm supporting my parents who're living in Canada. I would like to know which piece of information/paper work I should enclose/attach with my 2001 tax fillings to take benifits of tax deduction related to my parents/dependents

See Publication 501, which has the five tests for dependency. If they meet all five, they qualify as your dependents. Nothing other than securing identification numbers for them, if necessary, and listing them on your return is required.

If at least one of them qualifies as your dependent and you're unmarried, also check out Head of Household filing status.

Phil Marti

Author: pbpapa One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53298 of 121219
Subject: Re: dependents Date: 8/13/2001 2:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
"I'm supporting my parents who're living in Canada. I would like to know which piece of information/paper work I should enclose/attach with my 2001 tax fillings to take benifits of tax deduction related to my parents/dependents"

You do not have to provide any extra paper with your return. Just be prepared to show that you are providing more than half their support. If you are single, you can file as head of household even tho your folks are not living with you.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement