Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I wish to claim may girlfriend as a dependent and file as a head of household. I understand she must meet 5 tests to qualify as a dependent. The only difficult one will be the support test (she is a full-time student under age 24, US citizen, no joint returns, and will live with me for all of 1998).

Under the support test I understand I can claim (as support) food, lodging, clothing, education, medical, dental, etc. and she has to claim all student loans but not scholarships.

My question is whether I can claim 401K contributions in which she is the sole beneficiary as well as Roth IRA contributions as support to her. Furhter, how closely must I track recreation and other intangible expenditures. (I will be very close to making this test).

Also, I will be taking a $1000 lifetime learning credit for myself (part-time student). May I also take a $1000 lifetime learing credit for her providing that I can claim her as a dependent?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.