UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127393  
Subject: Re: Cost of shower project Date: 2/6/2014 1:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Depends on how much of the work you're going to be doing.

For example:

Will you be doing the tear out of the existing modular tub/shower?

You say you won't be "moving" plumbing. A typical shower actually sits down into the slab. In this case you're going to have to build it up over the slab which means you're going to have to build a bumper step.

If I had to guess, plan for between $3,000 and $5,000 and if they find something really wrong, then add another $2500 to the top end.

We recently re-did 2 bathrooms and I did the majority of the work. We took them completely down to the studs and started over. This is what we did in the bathroom that has only a shower:
Plumbing - fixed several issues (guarantee you'll find some)
Electrical - added lights, added exhaust fan, restructure / new wiring, new outlets & switches
Flooring - new tile on the floors, tile on the walls of the shower, filled plumbing box (shower size), graded the floor and ensured there was a proper drain skirt for entire shower footprint and up the walls.
Walls - Backerboard around the shower from floor to ceiling, green board on the walls, regular sheet rock on the ceilings.
Fixtures - new everything - vanity, counter tops, sinks, faucets, new toilet
Wall & ceiling covering - fresh paint

Even with me doing the bulk of the work, I still had about $400 to the plumber, about $300 to the electrician, about $300 to the drywall guy for taping / texture matching the existing walls and I'm guessing $500 or $600 to the tile guy. All of this was pure labor and doesn't include my materials costs.

I did all the tear out, all the new wiring, hung all the drywall and concrete backer. I also supplied all the materials and the fixtures and did the painting & clean up.

xSSMBB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement