Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 3BeeJay3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1528  
Subject: Re: Travel bikes Date: 8/16/2011 11:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Depends what type of riding you expect to do and what type of performance you want, reliability, fuel range, mileage etc.

In addition to the KTM (I'm assuming either 690 or 990 adventure.......?? personally I'd put these lower on my list due to cost & some reliability issues) KLR and V-strom(both good choices & much cheaper to buy & huge aftermarket support), there's;

Suzuki DR650 & Honda XR650L(reliable and dirt simple air cooled)

Suzuki DRZ 400 - will do it all once known bugs are addressed & it's setup properly. (huge aftermarket support)

Yamaha WR250 - smaller but will cruise at highway speeds all day long & is nimble, reliable, versatile and fuel efficient. Needs some setup to do long trips.
These cover much of the smaller end of the scale, which personally I prefer, as I'd rather have a lighter, more nimble bike.

On the larger, heavier, more expensive end, there's;

BMW F800

Honda Veradero

Yamaha Super Tenere (new to the market, less aftermarket support & unknown reliability)

If you haven't already, I'd set aside about 300 hrs and go to www.advrider.com and poke around the ride reports, regional forums, bike discussions etc. Well worth your time, quite entertaining and good info to be found.
Also- if you're riding in a particular area- it doesn't hurt to check out the local Dual-sport and trailrider websites/forums for local info etc.. Many states/provinces and countries have them ie.
www.odsc.on.ca (Ontario)
http://www.dualsportbc.com/ (British Columbia)
http://www.dualsport-sd.com/ (San Diego & So Cal area)
Just some examples......
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement