UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 746010  
Subject: Depression Date: 12/31/2012 1:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Of all the changes I have noticed since not taking the BP/heart medication and its side effects is the sense of depression has lifted. For the past two years things seemed to be blah and, frankly, I no longer cared. I looked at some of the writing I did on TMF before this and I couldn’t be that. Not me. Whoever he was wasn’t me these days.

There are many descriptions of depression but mine is the loss of laughter. A mind that can laugh cannot be depressed. I had stopped laughing and, worse, lost the ability to make others laugh. My writing was stilted and I stopped being able to see the funny side. So my days were essentially coping with depression scenarios: each one a magnification of the possible worse situation. And, even worser, a fixation on all I had done in the past that didn’t work out – and not a whisper about what did.

So here’s me dark cloud overhead trying to manage. I did but sourly.

So when, in the past few weeks, I found something funny it was like finding a piece of me that had gone and was now back. It is more than welcome.

Most medications list the side-effects and I would like to add one: ‘expect a complete loss of humor’. That alone would cause me to run for the hills.

A small thing yet to me a milestone. I have bought a video enhancer called The Darbee Darblet and one of the posters on Help with This Home Theater halco said the name reminded him of a 1920’s child film star. So I wrote this: http://boards.fool.com/darbee-darblet-sounds-like-a-child-ac...

I don’t think I could have written it a month ago

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 662967 of 746010
Subject: Re: Depression Date: 12/31/2012 10:39 AM
Recommendations: 1
A mind that can laugh cannot be depressed. I had stopped laughing and, worse, lost the ability to make others laugh. My writing was stilted and I stopped being able to see the funny side.</i?

If you want to laugh more often, just go to PA and read just a few posts. Better than Bob Hope or Red Skelton.

Author: namkato Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663059 of 746010
Subject: Re: Depression Date: 12/31/2012 4:55 PM
Recommendations: 0
Michael, I am glad for you that you have your life back, along with your sense of humor.

A couple of decades ago, I was wrongly diagnosed with depression and the doctor prescribed Paxil. I took it for about four days, but I had to stop taking it because it actually made me feel suicidal. However, my wife takes Paxil now; it has been a miraculous cure for her Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and Paxil is used off-label for that. In other words, it works for IBS, but they don't know how or why. She loves it.

Can I ask what your heart med was?

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663071 of 746010
Subject: Re: Depression Date: 12/31/2012 5:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
Michael, I am glad for you that you have your life back, along with your sense of humor.

A couple of decades ago, I was wrongly diagnosed with depression and the doctor prescribed Paxil. I took it for about four days, but I had to stop taking it because it actually made me feel suicidal. However, my wife takes Paxil now; it has been a miraculous cure for her Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and Paxil is used off-label for that. In other words, it works for IBS, but they don't know how or why. She loves it.

Can I ask what your heart med was?

namkato

It was Diovan. It didn’t cause me suicidal thoughts but, coupled with the side-effect symptoms, made me think ‘what’s the use?’. Everything was just too much trouble.

MichaelR

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663081 of 746010
Subject: Re: Depression Date: 12/31/2012 6:25 PM
Recommendations: 3

Me, too. It's like Maxine's sense of humor. Here are some of her observations.

I can't use a cell phone in the car. I have to keep my hands free for making gestures.

I'm willing to put in longer hours at work. As long as they're lunch hours.

Caffeine is for people who feel they aren't irritable enough on their own.

Most stress is caused by three things: money, family and family with no money.

Sure, marriage can be fun some of the time. Trouble is, you're married all the time.

More here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0_dK4RmiMk&feature=playe...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement