UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: butchie64 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3899  
Subject: Derivative contracts Date: 3/18/2012 7:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fellow Fools,
Below is my understanding of derivative contracts. Is this correct or how far away from reality am I?

Say a farmer decides to sell a derivative contract for 100 bushels of corn @ $100/bushel. When the corn is ready to be sold, the price of corn has;

* gone up to $110/bushel ($10 more/bushel than the contract). The farmer has to sell the 100 bushels of corn at $100/bushel for a cost of $10,000. This represents a derivative loss of $1,000 (current cost of $110/bushel x 100 ears) that will end up as a loss on the quarterly income statement.

* gone down to $90/bushel when the corn is ready to be sold, the farmer still sells the corn at the contract price of $100/bushel and reports a derivative gain of $1,000 on the income statement.

keep it fun & enjoy each one
butch
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3863 of 3899
Subject: Re: Derivative contracts Date: 3/22/2012 9:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You might want to post your question at this board. I studied derivatives for my MBA, but it's been a while.

http://boards.fool.com/options-you-make-the-call-113013.aspx...

Author: butchie64 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3864 of 3899
Subject: Re: Derivative contracts Date: 3/22/2012 6:49 PM
Thanks fort the tip! Hopefully someone there will be able to let me know if I'm even in the ballpark with my understanding.

keep it fun & enjoy each one
butch

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement