No. of Recommendations: 0
Despite all that, I may end up with an MX-500 or something similar anyway, because hard buttons are simply more responsive than touch screens.

I hear you on that one. I really like the "activities centered" abilities of a touch-screen remote such as the Pronto, but I still need my hard key number pad. The closest "best of both worlds" remote I have found is the RTI TheaterTouch T2 (more info at the http://www.rticorp.com website), which I purchased after my Marantz RC2000 just wasn't up to the task because of my system complexity.

I love the remote, but it costs a bundle, has a few technical problems, and I would still like more hard buttons. The MX-500 looks nice, but seems more like an improved RC2000. The ability to press an LCD "Watch Movie" button and then select a DVD, D-VHS, Satellite or Laserdisc LCD button and have all of the system settings executed automatically via macro is incredibally convenient and user friendly, and the MX-500 doesn't appear to be quite as user friendly as the Pronto or RTI T2.

Perhaps my dream remote is on the horizon. For now a good place to go if you would like to research remotes is http://www.remotecentral.com where they have a ton of reviews, files and forums.

-Daniel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement