Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Metal27 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41315  
Subject: Re: barrons article re buffett Date: 4/22/2007 10:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Despite claims to the contrary, I don't believe BRK could accurately measure the cost of splitting the stock, although in their case they could certainly account for that cost as an extra-ordinary item, assuming it was material.

As for when I learned to question the foremost capital allocator of our time, I certainly didn't need Fisher's assistance; that questioning came long before Fisher' book and was not influenced by it. And do note that I am not questioning Buffett's abiities in capital allocation, as I said earlier. I am merely questioning whether he is doing the best thing for his shareholders in the areas of stock price and dividends. (BTW, Fisher has a real affection for Buffett, as we all do, I think.)

And I mis-understood your point about Mauzy--I was only focused on working some numbers to come up with an approximation of how much BRK really ought to retain in the business. I missed the FX argument.

And I guess I mis-understood your comment on the B shares because if Buffett truly cared about the little guy he would have saved time and money by simply splitting the A shares and avoiding the cost and complexities of the two-class share structure he now has. That is an irony I do see.

So we do agree on dividends--and Barrons! And probably more other things than we realize.

Cheers,

Scott
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement