Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2450  
Subject: Detachment Date: 8/25/2009 1:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I have had to cut ties with my almost 23 year old son Kyle lately. His girlfriend is physco (seriously) she doesn't like me and she controls my son no end (they have a 2 year old son together and live together)I have tried to reason and talk to Nicki but she just goes
off on me and won't listen. Not at all. I don't need this.

To make a short story short here, Nicki (gf) was horrible and rude to me and my bf on vacation in late July even though I paid for the cabin and all (almost $1,000) But I have had to detach myself from them now even though we live in the same town. Kyle has a drinking problem, and would only call me up to "borrow" money. It's making me so sad because he has so much potential, so talented mechanically wise (he can fix anything or repair anything) Hate to see him waste his life like this. I worry about my grandson too.

But I can't help him anymore until he tries to first help himself. And I do know he is NOT happy with the controlling girlfriend Nicki, but he stays there because he has no where else to go. Plus of course of his son. He has come to my place to stay for a weekend here and there, but she bullies him back. First she's rotten as hell, then when that doesn't work, she guilt trips him, and will send emails to him saying "I love you, I don't want to lose you, Tayton misses his dad, etc". I have told Kyle that he needs to get his own place (save up for it) and just get visitation rights to see his son even if he has to pay child support. His life is a mess but only he can straighten it up. I do not have the $$ to get him a place of his own as I'm struggling just to keep my head above water these days.

I guess for my own sanity I must turn my back on my son for now. I have a 17 year old daughter who still lives at home, my mom is 94 and my stepdad is 95. We will have to put my stepdad in a nursing home sometime next month (he has advanced alzheimers and his knees are bad, he has to use a walker to walk.

So dealing with this all, plus worrying about losing my job in this economy, well, I have no choice in the matter but to detach myself from my son.

Am I depressed? Clincally, maybe not. But emotionally, yes I would say I am.

Allison
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement