UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Fletch52 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Determining Annualized rate of return for Portfo Date: 1/3/2005 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fools: I have a question that I have not seen answered on these boards previously and as 2004 has just ended I think it is timely.

For those who contribute to their investments monthly and maybe with a lump sum tossed in here and there, can your investment broker provide you with an annualized rate of return?

I think this is a critical piece of information because without it how can you compare against benchmarks to see how you did.

I would appreciate any and all comments including any software that may calculate the return.

Fletch52
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43845 of 74759
Subject: Re: Determining Annualized rate of return for Po Date: 1/3/2005 12:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Fletch52: "I have a question that I have not seen answered on these boards previously and as 2004 has just ended I think it is timely.

For those who contribute to their investments monthly and maybe with a lump sum tossed in here and there, can your investment broker provide you with an annualized rate of return?"

Just do what the Beardstown Ladies did; ignore ongoing contributions and calculate annual gain by using year-end balances. You too might get a book published and make some more money.

Regards, JAFO
(to do the calculation properly, you need to calculate for each period between contributions, and then annualize to a CAGR; if ammounts and periods are irregular, then the math gets to be a PITA)

Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43846 of 74759
Subject: Re: Determining Annualized rate of return for Po Date: 1/3/2005 12:53 PM
Recommendations: 1
I would appreciate any and all comments including any software that may calculate the return.

Hi Fletch,

Here's one thread where calculating returns was discussed:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21651177

I downloaded the (apy) Excel function mentioned in the last post of the thread.

2old

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43847 of 74759
Subject: Re: Determining Annualized rate of return for Po Date: 1/3/2005 1:05 PM
On a monthly basis, the formula is:

100*(Amt_at_end_of_month - Amt_at_beginning_of_month + Amt_withdrawn - Amt_deposited)/Amt_at_beginning_of_month

However, there is obviously a time distortion, depending on when you made deposits or withdrawals.

The *right* way to do it is to apply that formula on a daily basis. This gives you the daily return. Then you can accumulate this on a daily basis to get your return over any period of time.

But just don't forget to update your spreadsheet every day!

That is a bit too much even for me.

Author: Fletch52 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43861 of 74759
Subject: Re: Determining Annualized rate of return for Po Date: 1/3/2005 9:44 PM
Fools: Thanks again for all your suggestions. I tried the monthly ROI and then combined to get an annual rate of return. It involved a bit of guesswork because I was not certain of end of month values for first six months of the year. For 2005 I will be ready however!

Fletch52

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement