No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't know if this is the right board, but I wondered if anyone here could help me figure out the interest rate some E/EE bonds are earning and what they're worth.

I have several EE savings bonds that were issued in the late 80s and early 90s that seem to be earning lower rates (according to the calculator found here http://www.treasurydirect.gov/BC/SBCPrice) than the explanation on Treasury Direct indicates:

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ebonds/res_e_bonds_eeratesandterms_eebondsissuedbefore051995.htm

Guaranteed Minimum Rates

Guaranteed minimum rates were set at the time a bond was issued. Initially, they apply to a bond's original maturity period and are subject to change as a bond enters an extended maturity period. In its extended maturity period, the bond's guaranteed minimum rate becomes the minimum in effect at that time for new issues. The guaranteed minimum rates are:

* 4% for bonds issued March 1993 - April 1995
* 4% for bonds entering an extended maturity period since March 1993
* 6% for bonds issued or entering an extended maturity period between November 1986- February 1993
* 7.5% for bonds issued or extended from November 1982-October 1986

So does this mean that if the bond was issued in the periods above, the bonds should be earning that rate as a minimum? How do I know what an extended maturity period is for a particular bond, and how do I find out what the rate is during that period (and whether it's variable or fixed)? What does that mean "the bond's guaranteed minimum rate becomes the minimum in effect at that time for new issues?" Why is it relevant what rate new issues earn when they are discussing a previously issued bond?

Also I have some E bonds from 1977 that this calculator won't recognize or calculate. I'd like to figure out how much those are worth.

Thanks for any help!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement