UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 725892  
Subject: Detroit is #1 Date: 2/22/2013 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Detroit Tops 2013 List Of America's Most Miserable Cities

Violent crime in the Detroit metro was down 5% in 2011, but it remains the highest in the country with 1,052 violent crimes per 100,000 people, according to the FBI. Home prices were off 35% the past 3 years, which is the biggest drop in the U.S.

Forbes put Detroit Mayor Dave Bing on its cover in 2011 for a story with the optimistic headline: “City of Hope.” The premise was that the city had hit rock bottom and was poised for a turnaround.

Two years later, Detroit’s problems continue to multiply, sadly. It is still dealing with high levels of violent crime and unemployment. Home prices, already at historic lows, plummeted a further 35% during the past three years to a median of $40,000 as net migration out of the city continued.

The latest blow was Tuesday’s announcement that the city is on the verge of being taken over by the state. Detroit is in a financial emergency and cannot pay its bills. The city has been issuing debt to fund day-to-day operations. The continuing problems propelled Detroit to the top spot in our 2013 ranking of America’s Most Miserable Cities.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/02/21/detro...

---

But didn't they measure the 'fairness index'? I'm sure if you rank it on the 'opportunity scale' taking into account the fact that half the residents probably were raised in single parent households by moms forced to accept welfare.......it shouldn't be that bad, right? After all, they 'tried' and everyone should get a trophy for 'trying'.

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 672615 of 725892
Subject: Re: Detroit is #1 Date: 2/22/2013 10:02 AM
Recommendations: 3
Check this out:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130222/OPINION03/302220...

No stranger to ugly numbers, accountant-turned-Gov. Rick Snyder says he was stunned to learn from this week's Detroit Financial Review that the city is obligated to pay $1.57 billion to retirees over the next five years. That means a third of the city's annual revenue, or roughly $300 million, will go to long-term liabilities for former employees — not police and fire, not city services, nothing else.

1/3 of all revenue earmarked for people no longer on the city's payroll.

Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 672658 of 725892
Subject: Re: Detroit is #1 Date: 2/22/2013 1:27 PM
Recommendations: 0
But didn't they measure the 'fairness index'?

The city of Detroit is the utopia for which every hard core democrat strives.

Everything is unionized.
Union employees are pampered in retirement with outrageous benefits.
Company's are taxed at exorbitant rates.
The rich are highly taxed.

The results are exactly what the liberals want:
Everyone is equal - in misery.
Almost everyone is dependent.

I expect (that they will claim) the only reason things aren't better is that the city government could not prevent the rich from fleeing the urban blight (that the liberals introduced).

If only liberal governments had a way to control everyone everywhere, then they could REALLY punish the rich! erm, make them pay their "fair share."

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 672683 of 725892
Subject: Re: Detroit is #1 Date: 2/22/2013 4:50 PM
Recommendations: 1
The results are exactly what the liberals want: Everyone is equal - in misery.

Just ask Thomas Peterffy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnX7TNFIELg

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 672776 of 725892
Subject: Re: Detroit is #1 Date: 2/23/2013 8:27 PM
Recommendations: 1
There was recently a "Worst Places to Retire" list in one of the
journals that tends to generate "top ten places" - "worst ten
places".

Anyway - the article proceeded to list just about every southern state.

The article was a bunch of nonsense.

But most "best of" or "worst of" lists tend to be nonsense.

Detroit is not my cup of tea - but some folks would like the
sports teams and the low cost to buy a home.

Howie52
Why there are probably some people who would even like the Red Wings.

Somewhere.

Why I'd like the Red Wings if they were in Ubekistan during the playoffs.

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 672778 of 725892
Subject: Re: Detroit is #1 Date: 2/23/2013 8:32 PM
Recommendations: 2
Why there are probably some people who would even like the Red Wings

Only the ones with class and good looks.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 672780 of 725892
Subject: Re: Detroit is #1 Date: 2/23/2013 8:41 PM
Why there are probably some people who would even like the Red Wings

Only the ones with class and good looks.
-------------------------------------
I'm actually a Red Wing fan tonite, the Preds have more points and they're beating them 3-0.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 672856 of 725892
Subject: Re: Detroit is #1 Date: 2/24/2013 7:48 PM
The article was a bunch of nonsense.

But most "best of" or "worst of" lists tend to be nonsense.

In last year's Forbes "Most Miserable Cities" list, Cleveland, Ohio ranked hear the top. Then someone on the City-Data boards noted that the description for Cleveland, which went into detail about its industries, etc., was lifted directly from a Wikipedia page -- for Cleveland, Tennessee.

The folks at Forbes need to do more thorough fact checking, IMO.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 672882 of 725892
Subject: Re: Detroit is #1 Date: 2/24/2013 11:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
"The folks at Forbes need to do more thorough fact checking, IMO. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Readers need to recognize that Forbes is selling more than a magazine.

Howie52
As is TMF

There is nothing of necessity wrong in selling folks - but
there should be a degree of integrity - consistency - and a
real value to what is sold.

Lists - and retirement planning articles that merely say that
no one saves enough and everyone who retires must develop a
taste for cat food do not add value IMHO.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement