Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13898  
Subject: devils and details Date: 9/7/2012 5:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I had heard of the expression "the devil is in the details' or "the devil's in the details") but then I saw this in an email at work: "The devils in the details, of course, are
whether such an initiative can be scaled and distributed and whether ..."

I was wondering whether the author just got the phase "devil's in the details" wrong, or whether there is a whole other use of the phase "the devils in the details are ..." that I just don't know about. At first reading, I was thinking that "the devils in the details" was just a case of this person leaving off the apostrophe -- but then I ran into the verb "are" and I realized that "the devils" is supposed to be the subject of this verb.

Has anyone else seen this usage?

culcha
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12579 of 13898
Subject: Re: devils and details Date: 9/7/2012 6:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The devil is in the details. That writer has just proved it.

I think either the person has heard the expression their entire life and misunderstood it and now they're happily passing that along to others in an adult game of "telephone", or they know that the devil is in the details and they're having fun with the fact that there's more than one problem to be resolved in that project; it's not correct but it's fun.

Frydaze1

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement