Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ultrabrite Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1001  
Subject: DG Reports 2.5% Increase in SSS Date: 7/9/2006 12:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Dollar General Reports June Same-Store Sales up 2.5%

GOODLETTSVILLE, Tenn., Jul 06, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Dollar General Corporation (NYSE: DG) today reported total retail sales for the June five-week period ended June 30, 2006, equaled $876.7 million compared with $808.4 million last year, an increase of 8.5 percent. For the June period, same-store sales increased 2.5 percent compared to an increase of 4.5 percent in the five-week period ended July 1, 2005. The sales increase for the period was attributable to strong sales increases in the categories of food, seasonal merchandise (driven by hardware and sundries), paper products, home cleaning products and pet supplies. Same-store sales decreased in the categories of home products and apparel.

For the nine-week period ended June 30, 2006, Dollar General total retail sales increased 7.9 percent to $1.6 billion from $1.4 billion for the nine-week period ended July 1, 2005. Same-store sales for the 2006 nine-week period increased 2.0 percent.

For the 22-week period ended June 30, 2006, Dollar General total retail sales increased 8.0 percent to $3.7 billion from $3.4 billion for the 22-week period ended July 1, 2005. Same-store sales for the 2006 22-week period increased 1.7 percent...

http://www.shareholder.com/dollar/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=202975

The numbers show a slowly rising trend of SSS (same-store sales) and the shares jumped back over $14.00 on the news. I am not totally convinced the shares have bottomed out but I do feel they offer good value below $15 as long as profit growth can be resumed. I am currently wondering what group of companies offers better value: "dollar stores" like DG or big-cap retailers like WMT and/or COST or traditional supermarkets like AHO or SVU or KR...?

I feel there are two conflicting trends at work in DG - their low-income consumer is pressured by high gas and oil prices and by rising interest rates while their cost of doing business is also rising. On the other hand this company has a good longer-term record of increasing the number of stores they operate and growing overall sales and profits. Compared to a company like Rite-Aid, which is substantially larger in terms of sales, but has lower profits and a lot more debt I prefer DG's solid record of profits and much stronger balance sheet. But I do worry if they can compete with larger supermarkets and/or entities like Wal-Mart or Costco.

I have not been able to sort out the multitude of conflicting signals, but I do feel that eventually DG will be revealed to be an inferior player or will bottom-out and will start to show improving results. I had looked at the chart and decided that dropping below $15 would be a pre-requisite to me becoming more interested in the company. At this point I wonder if the shares will rise above $15 or perhaps becaome an even better value in the weeks ahead?

JT :-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement