UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Bottles Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Bankruptcy- unfoolish way out Date: 5/15/1998 2:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DGChabino,

First, your brave for stating your opinion here and I do respect that and Actully wish More lenders or a few ppl who work in the credit card industy would post here. Your point is well taken. Ppl in position like your self could really answer a number of questions that I have yet to see any definitive answer like:

1. How much available Credit is too much?

2. What are the ramifications to declaring bankruptcy versis going to CCCS type service or having a few late payments on your credit report?

To be honest I doubt there are any difinitive answers since alot of the industry seems to me to be rather subjective with only some loose guidelines to operate by - I could be wrong but it seems to me to work that way.

First, I dont blame anyone for trying to make a living. Which means I dont mind paying some intrest for the luxury of borrowing money, if I so choose. Its a question of how much and the methodologies that some credit card companies employ that really rub me the wrong way.

Going after College students who can't pay is rediculous. They are using the Tabbaco industrys reasons for targeting Teens, hook them young and they generally will stick with Brand A rather then Jump to Brand B. In the process you give a kid, whom is just enjoying freedom for the first time a $1000 spending spree and no or little income to pay it off with... Smart huh??? Not to mention all the intrest just racking up.

Second, If anyone has ever been introuble once or know of anyone who is/has been in trouble CC companies are NEVER your friend. Worse they seem to pounce and take advantage of the situation amd maximize their profits since many times their Terms and Conditions of the Unsecured credit allows them.

In your case a lender with a Fixed rate loan typically there is little you can do aside from rack up late payment fees/bounced check fees. The general terms of the loan cant be changed - like the APR. I am sure there are other things I am just not aware of.

And perhaps the biggest problem I have with CC Companies is just there general Attitude. Us versus them and very confrontational... Very didfferent from most banks, Lenders That I have delt with in the past.

I do hope you can provide some insight into some of the above questions as well as continue to post here. I can imagine your knowledge would be a welcomed addition here.

Good luck

Bottle
Rob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement