Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
DH and I have twins, so we had to open TWO 529 plans to pay for their college expenses (since they'll be in college at the same time and we can't transfer it back and forth)

We want to contribute to get the state tax deduction described here:

What it says is "$5000 per taxpayer, or $10K for a married couple".

Is that $5K per taxpayer, or $5K per taxpayer PER KID? I don't think it's very clear. They never seem to think of things like twins when they write there somewhere I can find the actual statute? My financial person thought it was "per kid" but this article doesn't say.

The deduction is on your income tax return for money that you contribute to an AL 529 plan. There is no restriction on the number of plans you can contribute to, just on the total amount that you can deduct on your AL income tax.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.