No. of Recommendations: 6
Getting engaged? Think twice about a diamond engagement ring. I sent this link to both my boys (aged 21 & 26).

Americans exchange diamond rings as part of the engagement process, because in 1938 De Beers decided that they would like us to. Prior to a stunningly successful marketing campaign 1938, Americans occasionally exchanged engagement rings, but wasn’t a pervasive occurrence.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-diamonds-are-a-sham-2013-...

Now, I have to admit that I don’t value diamonds all that much.

I made MDH’s and my wedding rings. Unfortunately, I chose to inlay turquoise in a silver band. (They really did look pretty before we wore them<g>.) Anyway, MDH uses his left hand so much (no right hand to use), that the softness of turquoise (Mohs scale 5 to 6 http://www.gemologyonline.com/mohs.html ) soon showed. The stones cracked and/or fell out.

In my case, I was loading the wood stove one cold, wintry day and the ring slipped off my finger and the turquoise was toast<sigh>.

Anyway, if I feel the need for a "new" wedding band, I check Kohl's for a sale on their sterling silver rings. I've had several over the intervening 30+ years we've been married. They usually cost around $25.

PM
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
And finally, let's remember that diamonds are a beautiful form of carbon and will burn just like charcoal under the right conditions.

They are not forever.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Well, SUVs can't be too far behind.
PSU, wait- where was your plug for moissanite?

peace & predicting responses
t
No one mentioned that the average wedding costs $30K if I recall...?
PSU, wait- where was your plug for moissanite?

Nice stone. Can't tell the difference between it and a diamond with the naked eye. It's make locally here.

PSU
stockholder
Synthetic gem quality diamonds are getting better and less expensive every year too.

I'm not talking about any of the imitation diamonds, but the ones that are chemically and physically equivalent to mined diamonds.

Purest might complain that "natural is better" but even mined diamonds are often highly processed with laser and radiation to eliminate flaws and improved their color. In theory these treatments should be disclosed to the buyer but there is a lot of motive for people to pass off the stones as being untreated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_enhancement
Synthetic gem quality diamonds are getting better and less expensive every year too.

I don't really understand the point of that. Because it seems to me if someone wants a fake diamond that looks identicle to a real diamond, it's because they somehow place a higher "value" on real diamonds - but don't want the high cost of them, as opposed to "costume" jewlery, where one's not trying to pull it off as "real" - it's just to wear something glittery that everyone knows is fake.

I gave up wearing any jewlery 99.9% of the time a few years ago. I never really liked the way metal felt against my skin - reminded me too much of growing up and having to wear a scoliosis brace.
Purest might complain that "natural is better" but even mined diamonds are often highly processed with laser and radiation to eliminate flaws and improved their color.

I have no problem with treatments that produce a permament change. Fluid filling of defects only lasts a short time.
No. of Recommendations: 5
LBYM engagement rings-

I told my sons I had a selection of rings from my grandmother and mother and they could pick one of they liked. My older son picked what I think was a ring that had been my great-grandmother's that he thought his fiancé would like. She did and she liked the history of it as well.
Diamonds are for the shallow and the stupid and I'm not saying sorry to all those diamond lovers out there...

Think about what purpose a diamond serves. It is a shiny expensive rock that sits on your hand and gets in the way of many common tasks. Why do women love them so much then? It is a social display of opulence.
No. of Recommendations: 21
Posts can be shallow and stupid too.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 7

OCD: Post's
No. of Recommendations: 2
<Americans exchange diamond rings as part of the engagement process, because in 1938 De Beers decided that they would like us to. >

De Beers also advertises internationally. Even Asian women are beginning to crave diamond engagement rings. De Beers also leads a cartel (including Russia) to restrict the supply to keep the price up.

Since I despise being manipulated by a marketing campaign, whether for food, jewelry or anything else, I told DH that I didn't want an engagement ring of any kind.

Truly, DH's love was enough for me. Our wedding day (1993, 20 years ago) was the happiest day of my life. I am proud to be married to him...prouder than any diamond could ever express.

Wendy (still in love like a teenager)
But not opulent.
No. of Recommendations: 3

Posts is not possessive. An approstrophe isn't correct.
Can’t go wrong with apostrophe’s.
No. of Recommendations: 17
Posts is not possessive. An approstrophe isn't correct.

Bless your heart.
An approstrophe isn't correct.

Neither is your spelling.

But about the other thing -

WHOOSH !
Think about what purpose a diamond serves. It is a shiny expensive rock that sits on your hand and gets in the way of many common tasks. Why do women love them so much then? It is a social display of opulence.

WOW! An SP doppel! I would've thought he was too frugal for that...
But you gotta admit, they look good and shiny. What are the opinions around here regarding cubic zirconium?
It is a social display of opulence.

Or a man's way of marking his territory.
An approstrophe isn't correct.

Neither is your spelling.

But about the other thing -

WHOOSH !

I need a keyboard that can spell, or find a browser that will spellcheck.
It is a shiny expensive rock that sits on your hand and gets in the way of many common tasks.

Rings aren't the only jewelry that can contain diamonds.

To me rings are an annoyance, and wearing a ring at work is problematic.
Cubic zirconiums were made to replicate zircons, not diamonds. Since no one really knows about zircons, someone decided to say they were fake diamonds, or something like that. If you see an actual zircon, they look nothing like diamonds. They can be colorless but they do not have the fire, the refractive properties of a diamond. The best man-made ones I have ever seen come from Diamond Nexus based in Wisconsin. I have several of their pieces and they look amazing. One ring I have had for three years now and it still looks as good as it did on day one!

Too bad we can't pee like other animals.

You can. You'll probably get arrested, though, if you go lift your leg and pee on a fire hydrant in public.

If you do it, though, post the video on YouTube.

Karen
:)
They were a thing before the De Beers campaign, at least to some extent.

Mine is pretty close to "forever" for me; it was my grandmother's, given to her around 1905, then given to my mother in the 30s (that might have had something to do with the campaign) and then to me in 1991. It's sparkly and pretty and I enjoy wearing it, and I like that it's a historical cut.

cm,
magpie

I'm so tempted to create a Bob the Angry Flower doppel.

-synchronicity

------------------

I hear there are websites for that kind of thing.

mick, hears things

You can. You'll probably get arrested, though, if you go lift your leg and pee on a fire hydrant in public.

I'm pretty sure the "territory" he wanted to mark wasn't a fire hydrant.

Just saying...
You'll probably get arrested, though, if you go lift your leg and pee on a fire hydrant in public.

If you do it, though, post the video on YouTube.

They didn't quite go there but this video is still pretty close (and funny).

Things you can't do when you're not a dog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emfDkcfWDew

Even funnier but less on topic is
Things you can't do when you're not in a pool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw4bQKiLkQ4

We can, but I haven't done it in awhile. Of course, it's not like I was claiming territorial dominion over swimdad's final resting place, so I guess it is a little different.
Diamonds are for the shallow and the stupid and I'm not saying sorry to all those diamond lovers out there...

Well damn, and here I thought it was a social display of my husband's love and commitment to me. I could have sworn that's why I wear it. Thanks for clearing it up. My husband claims that when he feels my ring when we are holding hands (or you know other stuff) and he gets a warm glow and thinks "that's my wife", but he's lying/wrong, he's really thinking "that's my wealth".

But hey when you're done throwing around judgmental labels on people for buying diamonds, I'm sure there are plenty of other topics you can cover for us. Have an opinions on buying new cars? How about designer purses?

Lara Amber
Advertisement